Q. I took a pill after 5 days of having unprotected sex. Will it prevent pregnancy?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Hi there, I have been on the pill (Levlen) for 7 years now. I finished my withdrawal bleeding last week. Started my new cycle pack before 6 days, the next day I had unprotected sex. I don't remember now which day this I missed 1 pill. but I took 2 pills today for it and am up to date. Am I still protected from ovulation/ not getting pregnant or do I need to take any other EC now that it is 5 days since I had unprotected sex?

#

hi dear good evening

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you see since you have been so regular and for last 7 years you have been taking the pill so firstly I appreciate that. now coming to your query, since your withdrawal bleeding last week and you had unprotected intercourse after a week, it's too early for ovaries to release eggs.

hence there is a very rare possibility of pregnancy more over its been 5 days since you had unprotected intercourse so now even if you take emergency contraceptive pill now it's succes rate will be very low. so there is no use. as it is you are not likely to be pregnant. see for getting pregnant the sperms have to be ejaculated inside the vagina of the female. these sperms then need to fertilise an egg (which should not be available in your case due to withdrawal bleeding last week). this fertilised egg then needs to be implanted in the uterus of the female. so see it's really difficult to get pregnant. feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information God bless

|