Q. Is it normal to bleed after taking emergency contraceptive pill?

Dr. Alison A. Rodriguez

I had sex with my fiance 10 days back and took the 72 pill on the next day but did not bleed. I had sex again a week later and took the 72 pill that very day. I began to bleed soon after taking it which lasted for two days and now I am having a slight lower stomach and back pains. Am I pregnant now?

Dr. Alison A. Rodriguez

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It can take up to 21 days to have bleeding after taking emergency contraception and although it is good that you took it very soon after unprotected intercourse, you should not use this as your primary method of birth control.

It will cause cycle delays and unpredictability. Emergency contraception is not 100 % effective, even when taken as directed. There is always a chance of pregnancy when you have unprotected sex. A pregnancy test is advised and a reliable form of birth control in the future is strongly recommended.

|