Q. My partner and I had unprotected sex, and she does not want to take a pill. Please help.

Dr. Keeranmayee Mishra

My partner and I had unprotected sex. I ejaculated during intercourse, but I pulled out. I am worried if she will conceive. We had sex one day before her ovulation, and she does not want to take a pill. How can we prevent it without taking a pill?

#

I understand your concern. Even if a patient has a regular menstrual cycle, ovulation time may vary one to two days prior to or after the usual ovulation date. Secondly, some of the ejaculates might have entered the vaginal cavity even if you pulled out. So there is a risk of pregnancy either way. If you want to prevent unwanted pregnancy, then taking the pill within 72 hours (actually as soon as possible) is the safest option available. The more delay you make, the more is the chance of getting pregnant. The pill is sometimes known to fail if not taken on time.

How many days do we need to take it and at what time?

#

It is a single dose formulation wherein one single dose is used as emergency contraception. This pill needs to be taken orally and should be taken within 24-72 hours of having unprotected sex. One can protect from being pregnant as soon as they take the pill because as time passes by, the pill becomes less effective. The Unwanted 72 (Levonorgestrel) is usually safe if taken in a responsible manner but can lead to side-effects such as nausea, fatigue, and stomach cramps.

|