Enlarged Adenoids

Is it good to do surgery or wait till 3 years for the problem of adenoid?

Query: Sir, My son is 22 months old. He has problem of adenoid. We have recognised it from his 6 months of age and started giving medicines. But whenever he gets cold or fever it is very difficult for him to take breathe. He used to breath through his mouth and always open his mouth while sleeping. We have...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: hi, welcome to this forum. Can understand your concerns point If child has respiratory distress during sleep, or if the symptoms of cold and cough are increasing as the child is growing, then immediate surgery is required. the adenoids continue to enlarge till 5 year of age and after that they sta...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for a deviated nasal septum?

Query: I have a blocked nose, but sometimes the left side will be blocked and sometimes the right. I went to a doctor, he said that I have a nasal obstruction and that my nose is curved on the inside, and my adenoid is also blocked, but then he said the adenoid will gone when I'm 16.(I'm currently 15) But ...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! There are 2 aspects here which could be responsible for the nasal obstruction that your facing. Normally one side of the nasal cavity is more congested than the other and works more to humidify the air we breathe. People having a fairly straight nasal septum dont appreciate this normal nasal c...  Read Full »

What is the possibility of enlarged adenoids to be malignant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32-year-old male. I went to the doctor last week and they told me I have an enlarged adenoid. They took a biopsy from it to rule out malignancy. A few weeks earlier, I have had an MRI of the head and neck. Can you look at the footage and let me know if there are signs of an enla...  Read Full »

Dr. Ismail Kabakus

Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a very mild adenoid hypertrophy. Adenoids are a patch of tissue that is high up in the throat. They, along with the tonsils are part of the lymphatic system. The lymphatic system clears a...  Read Full »

Please give your valuable opinion on my child's hearing problem.

Query: Please have a look on her hearing test Report and give your suggestion. Please find the Patient details. Her Adenoids and Tonsils were removed. Due to Enlarged Adenoids she got infection in her middle ear and she was not hearing clearly. Then her middle ear was cleaned and the tube was inserted. Ag...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! The reason why she is still not hearing properly is probably due to remnant adenoids which could have been left behind and would have umdergone compensatory hypertrophy causing the same problem for which surgery has been done. I would recommed her to use metatop nasal sprays 2 puffs in each nos...  Read Full »

My daughter has change in voice with nasal twang. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 6 years old. Her voice has changed for more than 15 days now. I completed five days course as per doctor's recommendation of Augmentin DDs suspension 5ml three times a day and Omnacortil forte syrup 3 ml three times a day. But her voice has not completely recovered. The...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The probable reason for the change in voice in this age group having a nasal twang is mostly due to adenoid hypertrophy. If you feel she snores at night, has mouth breathing with a nasal intonation to the voice, it could definitely be adenoid hypertrophy. Adenoids are...  Read Full »

How to treat fever, headache, and ear pain in a 4-year-old child?

Query: My child of four years is suffering from fever since 8 .00 am today abot 100f.also tells about headache and pain in ear. Befor a month ago doctor had told that peep is producing in ear and he treated. Now it seems that there is no tonsil.only fever, headache and ear pain  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! The child would be having a mild infection in the adenoids which would have caused the ears to get blocked and cause pain and sometimes even discharge. You can consider the following treatment Syp augmentin 475mg 3ml three times a day after food for next 1 week. Syp sinarest 4ml three tim...  Read Full »

What causes a child's ears and nose to have a very foul smell?

Query: My 4yr old son's ears and nose have a very foul smell, he also have a running nose. I have noticed it for a week now.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! There could be two things which is causing the foul smellimg discharge from the nose and ear. 1. A foreign body - Make sure that the child hasn't inserted any foreign object in the nose or the ear as this is most common cause of foul smell discharge in this age group. You can definelty see thr...  Read Full »

What causes frequent nose bleeding in small kids?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter who is 4 years old had a frequent nosebleed in her left nose. First was last Thursday, then the second was three days later, and today also on her left nostril. I do not know if she pricked her nose, but when I asked her she said yes. I am a bit worried since it has been thre...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common reason for nose bleeds in children of this age group is 1. Frequent nose picking: We need to ascertain the cause of the nasal bleeds as the most common cause is secondary to dry nose and crusting which in turn causes irritation. Dry nose can be treated ...  Read Full »

My son has severe ear pain and ringing sound in ear. What is the solution for him?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5-year-old son has been complaining of severe ear pain (just right ear) and occasionally says that he hears a sound in the same ear. When he is abroad he has a nonstop cold, phlegm and chest congestion. But when he travels here he is absolutely fine. He also suffers from nose blo...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Have you taken an adenoid x-ray? Can you upload the x-ray if you have taken it? Do you think there could be some allergen in his place abroad which could be causing allergy and nose block in your son? Does he take food properly? Is there any dust inside the house abroad...  Read Full »

Is snoring a problem, while the tonsils are swollen?

Query: Hello doctor, The right area of my tonsils are swollen. In the swollen area, there is a hole with like rice thing. I do not know what it is? I had a nose problem when I sleep, where only one nose hole functioning well. I also always snore at night. The swollen area has been decreased a bit on my r...  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your message, I could understand that you have either tonsillitis or adenoids. Usually, this problem gets solved as the child grows. I mean, your problem is persisting from your school days till now. This is due to the chronic settlement of few bacterias in...  Read Full »