Q. I have a diffusely increased echogenicity of the liver with chronic hepatocellular disease. Why?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 03, 2020

I received the following results from an ultrsound: Diffusely increased echogenicity of the liver consistent with chronic hepatocellular disease. The presence of focal sparing in the gallbladder fossa indicates that this is at least in part related to fatty infiltration. When I searched it in internet hepatocellular disease HCC always comes up. Is hepatocellular disease a general term for liver damage or does this phrase typically point to carcinoma?

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern.

Still, it is not confirmed that it is cancerous or not, so do not worry. Yeah, there are changes in liver tissue which can be suspected as liver cirrhosis or fatty liver disease. And to specifically say about it, your doctor will do a biopsy, most probably, to confirm the diagnosis.

In USG (Ultrasonography), it shows that the liver's tissue has changed its color a bit.

So further testing is required. And the best one is the biopsy.

These are common in alcoholic people and less common in a nonalcoholic.

• Can you please tell me did you consume alcohol in the past? If yes, then how much?
  • What symptoms do you have currently?
  • Since when do you have these symptoms?
  • Did anyone in your family have or had liver disease?

Please answer so I can help you accordingly.

Thank you for the reply.

I do not drink very much at all. Maybe two beers a month. My maternal grandmother died of liver cancer. She is the only one that I am aware of that had liver issues. My Ferritin level is 1,075, and my doctor asked about hemochromatosis in my family, to which I am unaware, regarding symptoms. I have a lack of sex drive and a lack of energy. I would have a lack of energy for quite some time, but I always attributed that to my thyroid.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything further.

#

It is good that you do not have symptoms related to the liver so far. And early diagnosis helps in treatment and prognosis as well. It looks like a fatty liver disease that is not in a severe state. It can be controlled. So I would suggest you do a further investigation such as a liver function test and biopsy and then treat it appropriately. And please avoid alcohol. And consume less fast food, less oily food and do eat more salads and drink the juice. All these things will keep you healthy. If anything else, please let me know.

|