Q. Do I need to get FNB or biopsy to check lymph node enlargement?

Answered by
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Jul 29, 2016

Hi doctor,

I am a 32 year old male. My height is 6 feet and weight is 145 lbs. I am facing a significant unexplained weight loss of more than 45 lbs in four months. My normal weight since high school is 185 to 180 lbs. I am having episodes of significant and frequent drenching night sweats. Also, I have chronic persistent fatigue and occasional non-specific itching. I have a family history of lymphoma with my paternal uncle and maternal cousin. My ultrasound of lymph nodes has two different impressions. The first one was clear bilateral LAD suspicion of neoplastic etiology seen at level 4 and 5. The second opinion was clearly reactive bilateral nodes seen at level 2 and 5. In your opinion, what would be the appropriate course of action? Either FNB or excisional biopsy due to the symptoms and history? Also, if you can interpret films, then I would appreciate your additional opinion. From a differential diagnosis standpoint, what is at the top?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Based on your query and attached images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

  • In view of the clinical symptoms, images could be more of neoplastic etiology. Clearly, with the family history and prominent nodes along with classical history of night sweats, further evaluation is definitely necessary.
  • FNB (fine needle biopsy) is usually an initial test and the final confirmation is by biopsy. FNB has its limitations, however, to avoid any surgery; FNB of two lymph nodes can be done. If suspicious or positive, then can go for a biopsy, which will require further studies for characterization.
  • FNB is usually my initial choice; however, biopsy will be necessary for confirmation. However, evaluation of nodes is compulsory looking at radiological findings, family history and symptoms.
  • CBC (complete blood count), being normal indicates that there is no leukemia or lymphoma spill over into peripheral blood. Lymph node evaluation is necessary.

Investigations to be done:


Regarding follow up:

For further information consult a hematologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Thank you doctor,

I will forward this to my hematologist. I also reviewed my blood laboratory reports and realized that my neutrophil count was slightly elevated as well my albumin, alkaline phosphate and LDH. I am not sure if these are clinically relevant. Also, I have noticed a very odd symptom. When I have a glass of wine or beer with dinner the lymph nodes get tender and painful. Otherwise, I do not notice them. I am not sure whether it is a reaction to alcohol.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • Yes, in relation to alcohol use, in a few patients with lymphoma, lymph nodes do become tender. However, the exact cause of it is not identified.
  • Mild elevation of alkaline phosphatase, LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) and albumin are not to be worried about.
  • Increased neutrophil, probably secondary to mild bacterial infection could be causing mild abnormal liver function test values.
  • Get the tests done. Hope, it is only reactive lymph nodes and not lymphoma. Do get back after tests for anything of concern.

For further doubts consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Bladder biopsy shows eosinophilic cystitis with eosinophil infiltration. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Bladder biopsy shows eosinophilic cystitis with prominent eosinophil infiltration in the lamina propria with a mild lymphomonocytic cell. Urothelium shows atrophic change.  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post well. Eosinophilic cystitis has been mentioned in the case reports because of its rarety. No clinical trials have been conducted on the condition, it is treated with a course of steroids or NSAIDS and occasionally with resection of the lesion...  Read Full

Does biopsy on a pregnant woman result in any complication?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and 20 weeks pregnant. I got an abnormal pap result with ASC-H. I had another pap two years ago and it was normal. My doctor wants to do a colposcopy and biopsy. However, I read that it does result in complication when biopsy is performed on a pregnant woman. Can I do bi...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your situation and concern. You have to undergo colposcopy and if necessary biopsy too. It can be done during pregnancy and the only problem may happen is mild bleeding, which can be managed. If the lesion is mild, then it can be followed up. Moderate to ...  Read Full

Can Hashimoto's disease cause enlarged lymph nodes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism since four years. I take Eltroxin daily and go for a thyroid sonar once a year. I went for an ultrasound yesterday and my report stated that my thyroid features are consistent with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. But, what reall...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from the reports you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you do have some enlarged lymph nodes. Yes, there are two possibilities but it is more likely that these are due to: The upper respiratory tr...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Hematologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.