Enlarged Tonsils (5)

I have a swollen tonsil with painless bump in mouth. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a swollen tonsil for a couple of months now with a whitish patch at the top. I was advised before that it may be silent reflux causing it or could be something to do with my nose. I followed instructions on the omeprazole and nose spray but does not seem to fix the issue. I...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had a detailed look at the picture you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I am certain that there is absolutely nothing that you need to be worried about. Your tonsils belong to what we call as a part of the waldeyers ring and comprises of...  Read Full »

How to control recurrent sore throat with pus filled swollen tonsils?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been dealing with a recurring sore throat for the past couple of months. My tonsils get sore and swollen with pus and usually, I have a canker sore-like lesion on them as well. I get fatigued with body aches. I took tests for mono and streptococcus but I had neither. I am currentl...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Now if you are having symptoms at present, then you will need an antibiotic course for it, and treatment of choice is Amoxicillin clavulanate combination for five days. You should also have Betadine gargles four times a day for five days. Presence of pus does mean it...  Read Full »

What is serious about visible blood vessels on tonsils in a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, We noticed our 6-year-old daughter has a visible blood vessel on one of her tonsils. She feels fine and says her throat feels fine. Is this a cause of concern? We have never noticed it before? It has been three months since she was at the dentist and I know they check her tonsils. Thi...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have had a look at the pictures you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The tonsils are definitely enlarged in this case, there is no doubt about it. The tonsils have a very rich blood supply and are relatively avascular structure. It is norma...  Read Full »

Will poor oral hygeine and improper diet contribute to swollen lymph nodes on neck with sore throat?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently (the last week at the most) my lymph nodes in my neck have been very swollen. When looking at the back of my throat, I can see small tonsil stones, small, but many. There is swelling which I am hoping is associated with the stones and there is a lot of swelling at the top of ...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from swelling of lymph nodes on the neck with swelling of tonsil and sore throat. You lead an erratic life. You are a smoker. You do not maintain your oral hygiene regularly. You also do...  Read Full »

Can allergy cause tonsil swelling and pain?

Query: I have always had trouble with my tonsils. I get tonsil stones frequently and snore. For the past month I have had a mild sore/scratchy throat. I can tell my left tonsil is swollen, and it is causing some pain. Sometimes the pain reaches my ear, but not often. My doctor did a swab to check for infec...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathish Kumar

Answer: Hi, I understand that you are worried about your long term tonsil problem.. Tonsil enlargement could be due to infection or as a part of some other disease If your swab is negative, we need to investigate for other possibilities also I would suggest you some investigations for the same Meanwhile a...  Read Full »

How worrying is trouble sleeping with possible sleep apnea in a 2-year-old kid?

Query: Hi doctor, My 2-year-old son is having a lot of trouble sleeping. He snores every night and tosses and turns and has trouble breathing through his nose. His doctor says he has enlarged tonsils and adenoids. I think he has obstructed sleep apnea because I hear him gasping for air sometimes. We did...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If symptoms are too severe we can go for tonsil and adenoid surgery now also. Flonase is a steroid and it does not affect growth as it will be administered inside the nostril and will have the action only there. There will not be any systemic or bloodstream absorption. Ho...  Read Full »

I have sore throat with difficulty in swallowing and bleeding in tonsils. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a sore throat since this Wednesday. My dad is a doctor and he gave me Augmentin every 12 hours. The pain has not gone yet, but I feel like an object anytime I swallow. It hurts and it feels dry and sore. Just on the left side, it is been a few days but nothing new yet. It hurts...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your tonsil looks infected (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can see pus coming out of your tonsil. You complete the course of Augmentin (take it for seven days, 1 gm 12 hourly). Along with that take plenty of fluids (at room temperature i.e. not v...  Read Full »

What could cause swollen tonsils covered with white layer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female, 250 lbs. I do not smoke or drink. Tonight while looking at my throat, I discovered my right tonsil is swollen, lumpy, and covered in a thick, white layer of skin. Upon initial inspection, I mistook these white patches for tonsil stones, but they are not. The...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your right tonsil is swollen, lumpy and covered in a white, thick layer of skin. White spots on the tonsils usually indicate an infection. Infections may be due to bacteria, fungus or viruses. Strep throat ...  Read Full »

Swelling in throat with tonsils is concerning during this Covid-19 outbreak. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23-year-old female. I am having some problem in my throat and I think those are tonsils as I am not having any pain or difficulty. But whenever I am looking into my mouth I feel something around tonsils. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Shah Alam

General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern over the swelling in your throat that you observed recently in this period of Covid-19 outbreak. I checked the image and I can definitely see some swelling there. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I have a few questions...  Read Full »

Can swollen tonsils cause sore throat with mild fever?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a sore throat since yesterday. There is also a slight fever of 37.4. I suspect my swollen tonsil. I had taken juices and gargled warm water with salt. For the fever, I took paracetamol if needed.  Read Full »

Dr. Peter Grutas

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have any other symptoms such as cough or difficulty breathing? Any recent history of travel to China? Or any exposure to someone who may be possible with Covid-19?  Read Full »