Enlarged Tonsils (5)

Can I have enlarged tonsil on one side only?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19-year-old female. I do not drink alcohol or smoke. One of my tonsils remains bigger than the other. I noticed it especially after getting an infection on one of my wisdom tooth and I started to have sore throat. My infected tooth was present on the left side but I have tonsil en...  Read Full »

Dr. Nishant

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. One of the tonsils remains larger than the other. I do not think that this is an issue at this moment. Sore throat occurs due to wisdom tooth infection and you are taking the right treatment. Your tonsil does not hurt and you do not know w...  Read Full »

Why do I have a fever and finding it hard to swallow?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 38-year-old female with a weight of 68 kilograms and a height of five feet four inches. While swallowing, I have pain in my throat. I think that my tonsils are swollen with a white strip-like substance on the surface. My lymph node on the neck is also swollen. I am taking Parace...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. According to the statement, you are suffering from fever with swelling of tonsils and lymph nodes in the neck with the pain while swallowing. Severe types of infections can cause white spots on the tonsils. It can be a bacterial or viral o...  Read Full »

Can allergy cause tonsil swelling and pain?

Query: Hi doctor,I have some trouble with my tonsils. I have tonsil stones frequently with snoring. For the past two months, I have a mild sore or scratchy throat. My left tonsil is swollen with pain. Sometimes the pain reaches my ear. My doctor did a swab test to check for infection but it came back clean...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathish Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Tonsil enlargement can occur due to infection or as a part of some other disease. If your swab test is negative, we need to do other investigations to check for other possibilities. In the meantime, you can take tablets as given below. ...  Read Full »

What can cause sore throat with enlarged tonsils?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a mild sore throat for the past three to four days, and one of my tonsils is enlarged with white formations on it. I tested negative for strep throat today, and I am unsure if it is tonsillitis or tonsil cancer.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are suffering an acute attack of tonsillitis. The congestion is seen. One of the tonsils is indeed slightly larger than the other. Once the infection resolves, both will probably become simil...  Read Full »

Can allergic post-nasal drip result in the enlargement of one tonsil?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 18 years old. I am asking questions due to my curiosity. When I was a child of eight years, I had problems with my tonsils where one of my tonsil being bigger than the other. The doctor suggested me to remove the tonsils but the other doctor told me that surgery is not required for th...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is nothing to be worried about. There are certain criteria that need to be fulfilled for undergoing tonsillectomy. Mostly, the surgeons follow the guidelines given by SIGN (Scottish intercollegiate guideline network) or AAOHNS (American association of otolaryngolo...  Read Full »

When to worry about enlarged tonsils?

Query: Hi doctor,Based on the attached picture, should I be concerned about my tonsil? Should I get it evaluated for cancer?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In the picture you sent(attachment removed to protect patient identity), the right looks quite big compared to the left. The left does not even appear to be there. Now whether you need to get it evaluated for cancer will depend on certain factors. 1. Your age - as I s...  Read Full »

Why is one of my tonsils larger?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 23 years old. I suffered from round allergies for a year and took Zyrtec every day. I am a mouth breather and I am doing it even when I am sleeping. Before a few months, I started to have tonsil stones and they are in three to four numbers. One of my tonsils got larger. I am a huge hy...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is an allergic component and it requires proper precautionary and medical treatment. Do not take Zyrtec (Cetirizine) for a long period of time. The tonsils get enlarged due ...  Read Full »

How to treat large tonsils with cyst?

Query: Hello doctor, I have large tonsils, one is larger than the other, and one has a cyst. I am a 21-year-old male with a potential history of GERD. I take Rennies. However, I have been given Lansoprazole. I am a medical student, so I am paranoid about cancer. I do not have any weight loss. My thoughts ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As a medical student, you can understand me well. Any abnormal mass in the body should be removed and histologically examined. I can see the mass on your right tonsil (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The mass does not look malignant, but tonsil...  Read Full »

Is there any home remedy for my swollen tonsils?

Query: Hello doctor, My tonsils have been swollen, and I am facing pain while swallowing also. Even the saliva swallowing is painful for me. Please prescribe the medicines and also the home remedies and foods which can be taken.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since when are you facing the problem? Are you able to see the swollen tonsils? Are they infected and red or just swollen? Accordingly, we will have to give different treatment. Please click a clear picture of your tonsils with an open mouth and send it to me.  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a solution for my swollen lymph node in the neck and enlarged tonsils.

Query: Hello doctor, I had aggressive damaged wisdom teeth removal about a month ago. And since then, I have a swollen lymph node in my neck on the side of the removal, which hurt and feel swollen. It is normal sometimes, but it does not go away. For the past four days, I get a recurrent sore throat and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, looking at the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), though your right tonsil is slightly enlarged, it does not look like cancer. It is most likely to be simply tonsillar hypertrophy. And since it has been for more than three years, it...  Read Full »