Enlarged Tonsils (5)

How to treat large tonsils with cyst?

Query: Hello doctor, I have large tonsils, one is larger than the other, and one has a cyst. I am a 21-year-old male with a potential history of GERD. I take Rennies. However, I have been given Lansoprazole. I am a medical student, so I am paranoid about cancer. I do not have any weight loss. My thoughts ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As a medical student, you can understand me well. Any abnormal mass in the body should be removed and histologically examined. I can see the mass on your right tonsil (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The mass does not look malignant, but tonsil...  Read Full »

Is there any home remedy for my swollen tonsils?

Query: Hello doctor, My tonsils have been swollen, and I am facing pain while swallowing also. Even the saliva swallowing is painful for me. Please prescribe the medicines and also the home remedies and foods which can be taken.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since when are you facing the problem? Are you able to see the swollen tonsils? Are they infected and red or just swollen? Accordingly, we will have to give different treatment. Please click a clear picture of your tonsils with an open mouth and send it to me.  Read Full »

Can I have enlarged tonsil on one side only?

Query: 19, Female, Not a smoker/don’t drink alcohol. One of my tonsils has been bigger than the other. I noticed it especially after one of my wisdom teeth got infected and it gave me a sore throat. The infected tooth was on the left side but this tonsil enlargement thing is on the right. I can&rsquo...  Read Full »

Dr. Nishant

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hey, hope you are well. I can understand your concern of one tonsil being larger than the other. - But, I don't think that is an issue at the moment. - As you mentioned, the sore throat is because of the wisdom tooth, and the treatment you're taking for it is correct. - For now, the tonsil is no...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a solution for my swollen lymph node in the neck and enlarged tonsils.

Query: Hello doctor, I had aggressive damaged wisdom teeth removal about a month ago. And since then, I have a swollen lymph node in my neck on the side of the removal, which hurt and feel swollen. It is normal sometimes, but it does not go away. For the past four days, I get a recurrent sore throat and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, looking at the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), though your right tonsil is slightly enlarged, it does not look like cancer. It is most likely to be simply tonsillar hypertrophy. And since it has been for more than three years, it...  Read Full »

Why is my tonsil swollen and red?

Query: Hi doctor, My right side tonsil is swollen and red. I have taken two to three days of antibiotics before seven days, but they are still reddish compared to the left one. It shows some swelling. There is no heavy pain, but I feel irritating.   Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you please tell me which antibiotics you were taking and what is the dose? Is it possible to get a picture of the tonsils? Then only I can prescribe you the medicines accordingly. Thank you.  Read Full »

I have one larger tonsil and there are no symptoms, it does not bother me unless I look at it. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have one larger tonsil and there are no symptoms. It does not bother me unless I look at it.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. One-sided enlarged tonsil is not a good thing to have. Usually, when both sides are enlarged, it would mean an infection or chronic infections over tonsils and pharynx. Unilateral enlargement needs to be investigated to rule out a tumor or abnormal growth. If you were ...  Read Full »

Why do I feel like something is stuck in my throat after a tonsil infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I was suffering from an infection in my tonsil for the past four days. I went to an ENT specialist four days ago. He told me there is an infection and advised me antibiotic. Now my pain in the tonsil has gone, but I am still feeling something stuck in my left side of the throat where...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Probably the infection got resolved, but the enlargement and hypertrophy of tonsils remain. You need to take a picture of the open throat showing both tonsils and send to us. If the enlargement is very big and causes significant symptoms recurrently, we can remove t...  Read Full »

Why is one of my tonsils larger?

Query: I am 23 years old and am healthy. I have suffered with year round allergies since I was young and take zyrtec everyday. I also am more of a mouth breather and even when I sleep sometimes. I started getting small tonsils stones a few months ago and have only had about 3-4 tiny ones. One tonsil has be...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! Thanks for briefing regarding the problem in concern. I had a detailed look at the picture you have sent. There are few things which need to be understood in detail 1. There is a severe allergic component which requires proper precautionary and medical treatment. Taking zyrtec for a long peri...  Read Full »

Why there is pain in my right tonsil and jaw, while swallowing?

Query: Hi doctor, I have severe pain in the right tonsil (I have always had tonsils), and it has also enlarged (unlike the left one). There is no change of color; it looks just like the left one except it is more prominent. I also have pain in the right jaw (the gum over the wisdom tooth to be precise i.e...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As from your history, the leading cause of the pain seems to be from pericoronitis; it will take time to heal. And for enlarged right tonsil, you do not have to worry for now as size can be asymmetrical; if the tonsil enlarges more progressively, then you have to vis...  Read Full »

Can allergic post-nasal drip result in the enlargement of one tonsil?

Query: Hello,I am 17, almost 18 now. I wanted to ask something out of curiosity. Since I was a child (8 years ago) I've had a problem with one of my tonsils being bigger than the other. The doctor I went to back then suggested removing my tonsils but another doctor said it is not necessary as I am not fac...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about. There are certain criteria that you need to fulfil for undergoing a tonsillectomy. This criteria is different in different institutions and most surgeons worldwide follow the ones given by SIGN (scottish intercollegiate guideline networ...  Read Full »