Q. I feel something stuck in my throat with large tonsils. Please help.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

I have large tonsils, one is larger than the other, and one has a cyst. I am a 21-year-old male with a potential history of GERD. I take Rennies. However, I have been given Lansoprazole. I am a medical student, so I am paranoid about cancer. I do not have any weight loss. My thoughts are glandular fever or HPV. No sore throat, and I have been using a steroid spray for about a week. I have a constant feeling of something in the back of my throat. Please help.

#

As a medical student, you can understand me well. Any abnormal mass in the body should be removed and histologically examined. I can see the mass on your right tonsil (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The mass does not look malignant, but tonsillectomy is useful to examine the mass.

Do not think about HPV (human papillomavirus) unless you find genital lesions.

Can I leave it? Has the reflux caused this? Also, I am taking some steroidal nasal spray. Is this beneficial to the tonsils? Are my tonsils of this size warrant removal?

#

Yes, you can leave it, but with careful follow up for the small mass on the right tonsil. Watch for any changes in the mass like size, shape, and color. Acid reflux cannot enlarge the size of tonsils, but it can cause recurrent sore throat. Nasal corticosteroids cannot affect tonsils. Tonsils removal is not related to the size but related to complications like recurrent acute tonsillitis, obstructive sleep apnea, snoring.

|