Q. I have swollen tonsil and keep getting tonsil stones. I want to get my tonsils removed. Please suggest if I should go ahead.

Dr. Arpit Varshney

I have had a swollen right tonsil for over a year and have had post nasal drip as well. I have tried OTC (over the counter) medicines and even a nasal spray. None of it has been working out for me. Also, I have been getting tonsil stones very frequently. I have been to the doctor, they said that they cannot find anything wrong. I have been tested for everything and the reports are negative. I am at the point where I want to get them removed. Can you please help?

#

I have read your query and understand your concern. First of all, you are having recurrent tonsillitis. Your tonsils are exposed to infections more than required. They do not have the immunity to fight against infections that is causing an illness frequently. The best solution is to get them removed that is tonsillectomy.

Tonsils are required for growth till 15 years of age only, after that they are of no use. Removing the tonsils will do no harm. I suggest you take the following treatment till your doctors decide regarding tonsillectomy.

1. Capsule Gramocef CV 325 mg (Cefixime and Ofloxacin) twice daily for five days.

2. Betadine gargles 1:1 thrice daily.

3. Tablet Diclofenac+Paracetamol 1 tablet twice daily.

4. Tablet Sinarest (Paracetamol, Phenylephrine and Chlorpheniramine) 1 tablet twice daily.

This will help you fight your symptoms for some time. You can decide on tonsillectomy in the meantime. There is nothing to worry about, you should be completely fine after the treatment. Hope this is helpful. Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|