Q. My left tonsil is swollen, and it is causing some pain. Could this be allergies?

Dr. Prathish Kumar
I have always had trouble with my tonsils. I get tonsil stones frequently and snore. For the past month I have had a mild sore/scratchy throat. I can tell my left tonsil is swollen, and it is causing some pain. Sometimes the pain reaches my ear, but not often. My doctor did a swab to check for infections but it came back clean. Could this be allergies? I have never had allergies before, except for asthma as a child. I have no other symptoms.  

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Prathish Kumar

#

I understand that you are worried about your long term tonsil problem..

Tonsil enlargement could be due to infection or as a part of some other disease If your swab is negative, we need to investigate for other possibilities also I would suggest you some investigations for the same Meanwhile also take the tablets as prescribed

CBC, ESR, PERIPHERAL SMEAR
CT NECK
CHEST XRAY

Tonsillar enlargement inder evaluation

T. Cefuroxime 500mg 1tab twice daily for 1week after food
T. Aceclofenac + Serratiopeptidase 1tab twice daily agter foof for 5day
Betadine throat gargle thrice daily

Review with investigations

| 

Noticed a growth in my throat. What it could be?

Query: Hi doctor,Yesterday I felt like something was stuck in my throat. Today, I noticed a growth in my throat. I am 43 years old, non-smoker, and drink one to two glasses of wine per month. Kindly tell me what this could be?  Read Full »

My allergy does not subside with 10 mg Cetirizine. Should I take 20 mg?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking 10 mg Singulair and 10 mg Cetirizine for five years for allergies, asthma, and Lyme. I just got two more kittens, and the medicines do not work anymore. I am miserable and desperate. I asked my doctor to give me 20 mg of Cetirizine and something else because I think ...  Read Full »

How worrying is trouble sleeping with possible sleep apnea in a 2-year-old kid?

Query: Hi doctor, My 2-year-old son is having a lot of trouble sleeping. He snores every night and tosses and turns and has trouble breathing through his nose. His doctor says he has enlarged tonsils and adenoids. I think he has obstructed sleep apnea because I hear him gasping for air sometimes. We did...  Read Full »