Q. My left tonsil is swollen, and it is causing some pain. Could this be allergies?

Dr. Prathish Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

I have some trouble with my tonsils. I have tonsil stones frequently with snoring. For the past two months, I have a mild sore or scratchy throat. My left tonsil is swollen with pain. Sometimes the pain reaches my ear. My doctor did a swab test to check for infection but it came back clean. Can I have these symptoms due to allergies? I never had allergies before except asthma during childhood. I do not have any other symptoms.

#

I understand your concern. Tonsil enlargement can occur due to infection or as a part of some other disease. If your swab test is negative, we need to do other investigations to check for other possibilities. In the meantime, you can take tablets as given below.

You need to do CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), peripheral smear, CT (computed tomography) neck, and chest X-ray.

You need further evaluation to know the cause of tonsillar enlargement.

You can take tablet Cefuroxime 500 mg one tablet twice daily for a week after food. You can take tablet Aceclofenac with Serratiopeptidase one tablet twice daily after food for five days. You can do Betadine gargling thrice daily.

Have a follow-up with your investigations.

|