Q. My tonsils are swollen and painful on swallowing even saliva. Kindly help with medication.

My tonsils have been swollen, and I am facing pain while swallowing also. Even the saliva swallowing is painful for me. Please prescribe the medicines and also the home remedies and foods which can be taken.

#

Since when are you facing the problem? Are you able to see the swollen tonsils? Are they infected and red or just swollen? Accordingly, we will have to give different treatment. Please click a clear picture of your tonsils with an open mouth and send it to me.

I am facing this problem since yesterday morning. And yes, I can see the swollen tonsils. As far as I think, it is infected and red. Attached is the picture for your reference.

#

In the picture you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can make out an enlarged red tonsils, although not very clear. So in all probability, you seem to be having a throat infection (tonsillopharyngitis), most likely a bacterial one. I am writing down some medicines for an acute pharyngitis problem.

1. Take capsule Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg one tablet twice daily after meals for five days. Even if you get fine, do not stop the medicines. Please take the complete course.

2. Tablet Combiflam (Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) one tablet twice daily after meals for three days (after that make it SOS, in case of pain and fever if any).

3. Use Tantum mouth wash. Mix 5 ml in 5 ml warm water and gargle thrice daily for five days.

4. Tablet Allegra-M (Fexofenadine and Montelukast), one tablet in the evening for five days.

General instructions / Home remedies / Precautions:

1. No exposure to dust smoke pollution (wear a mask always).

2. Avoid cold foods and drinks, citrus fruits, spicy and oily foods.

3. Avoid milk until the course of the antibiotic is over. To prevent gas due to antibiotics, you can take lactobacillus or warm curd, or any other

probiotic.

4. No alcohol until you get better.

5. You can take any food but make sure it is hot, less spicy, and home-cooked.

6. Drink plenty of warm fluids and take some rest.

Review after five days or anytime before that as required.

Pharyngitis.

After 5 days.

| 

Noticed a growth in my throat. What it could be?

Query: Hi doctor,Yesterday I felt like something was stuck in my throat. Today, I noticed a growth in my throat. I am 43 years old, non-smoker, and drink one to two glasses of wine per month. Kindly tell me what this could be?  Read Full »

Natural Sources and Health Benefits of Probiotics

Article Overview: This article explains about probiotics, their health benefits, and natural sources of probiotics. Read Article

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Probiotics are naturally occurring bacteria in our gut. The word 'Probiotic' is derived from a Latin word 'Pro’ meaning ‘Promoting’ and the Greek word 'Biotic' which means 'Life.' Probiotics are live microorganisms in the gut that have several health benefits. Many kinds of ba...  Read Article

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»