Q. I am concerned about the recurrent epididymitis infection. Kindly help.

Dr. Ankush Jairath

I was diagnosed and treated for epididymitis. I have taken a full course of antibiotics, and my pain has greatly subsided. However, I feel some discomfort when I lift my scrotum. I am aware that the discomfort can last while the inflammation heals. However, I am curious as to what the discomfort has been reported as feeling like post-treatment. This has taken a mental toll on me, and I am worried that the infection could start up again.

I took two Doxycycline for ten days. I also was given an intramuscular shot during my visit with my PCP. Ultrasound shows no masses, no torsion, hydroceles, and normal vascularity.

#

Sometimes it takes around three months in total to be back to normal. You may need to take antibiotics and anti-inflammatory for four to six weeks for the infection to heal completely. Scrotal support lessens pain and helps in healing.

My main concern is infection recurrence. I feel like it is gone since the pain is mostly gone; however, I still feel slight discomfort when moving my testicles at times. I am assuming this is normal, as it can take some time to heal, and the area as it is sensitive due to the previous inflammation. I just want to confirm that what I am experiencing is normal.

#

Yes, what you are experiencing is completely normal. However, what else you can do is to get an ultrasound scrotum and physical examination to see whether the infection has subsided completely. If residual inflammation is still there, you can continue the medication for two more weeks.

| 

Why do epididymitis patients have pain after masturbation?

Query: Hello doctor, I have epididymitis and I am taking Ciprofloxacin for it. I was feeling better but then I masturbated and all the pain is back.  Read Full »

Why does my testicle hurt after sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I had unprotected sex last week. It was a three-hour long session and I was a little sore afterward but felt totally fine the next few days. Then, three days ago, I noticed a slight pain in my balls and the discomfort has continued until today. It is most pain...  Read Full »

What are the symptoms of testicular cancer and how it differs from varicocele?

Query: Hello doctor, What are the difference in symptoms in testicular cancer and a varicocele?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»