iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersRadiologyepididymitisWhen to worry about a hyperechoic mass in the testicular ultrasound?

Is a hyperechoic mass of size 2 to 3 mm in testicular ultrasound dangerous?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Vivek Chail

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 5, 2021
Reviewed AtNovember 10, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I had a testicle ultrasound, and the report shows a hyperechoic mass of size 3 mm. The doctor advised me to repeat the ultrasound three months later. And the report after three months shows a hyperechoic mass of size 2 mm. My doctor told me that it was fine and not to worry about.

What should I do now?

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have seen your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

If you have persistent pain in the left scrotum, you might be having an inflammation of the left epididymis. It is a small structure located above the testis.

Regarding the small hyperechoic mass, it measured 3 mm, and now it measures 2 mm. A single such hyperechoic mass in the testis is a non-specific finding and not a serious concern. Regular follow-up is needed only in cases of multiple hyperechoic masses in the testis. Since you do not have progression and an increase in the size and numbers of the testicular hyperechoic mass, your doctor does not want a follow-up.

The pain in your left scrotum is likely due to epididymitis, as confirmed in the recent scan.


Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Vivek Chail
Dr. Vivek Chail

General Practitioner

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy