Q. Is it necessary to undergo testicle removal surgery in a diabetic patient?

Answered by
Dr. Shahil Khant
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 08, 2020

Hello doctor,

My father is 63 years old and is diabetic. He is suffering from swelling of testicle. Before this, he suffered from urine infection from E.coli bacteria and the treatment lasted for one month. Initially, he underwent his treatment in my hometown and later went to the nearby city for treatment. Doctor suggested to take antibiotics for 10 days and wait for 15 days and asked to come for re-checkup. Doctor told us if there is no improvement, then he suggested my father to remove his swelled left testicle. Please find previous reports and the recent one as well.

Could you please explain the report and disease and also let us know is it something serious? Should we change our doctor? Is testicle swelling cannot be cured with medicine? Kindly suggest us whether my father should undergo operation? If so, kindly let us know is there any side effect and risk associated with the operation as my father is a diabetic and he is concerned about it? Can a laparoscopic specialist treat urology disease?

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have seen the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

He is suffering from epididymo-orchitis of the testis. As already antibiotics course is over, the report still shows epididymo-orchitis. This shows that it became a chronic case.

What are his present symptoms? Does he have a fever, pain in the testis or urinary problems? If the symptoms are severe symptoms then it is better to remove the testis.

If there are no symptoms then we can wait, but the swelling will take four to six months to resolve. Testis removal is a minor surgery and he can undergo the surgery, no need to worry about. And no need to change the doctor as his treatment is fine. MS general surgeon and laparoscopy surgeon can perform surgery, no problem.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

He is not suffering from fever and any urinary problem except for swelling in the left testis. Why doctor suggested my father to take antibiotics for a long, as I think it is not good for health. He suggested to take antibiotics for 10 days and wait for the next 15 days. If no further improvement takes place removing the testicle is a good option. Is that true?

But as per your suggestion, it takes four to six months to cure the swelling. Why the doctor is suggesting operation?

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Epididymo-orchitis requires long term antibiotics for cure. Now it has become chronic epididymo-orchitis in your father's case. Ultrasound shows minor collections in testis. Moreover, there is a swelling of the testis. Doctor has advised orchidectomy because it gives permanent cure and no chance of recurrence of infections. As I told you can wait and watch but there are very less chances that the swelling will go. As he is not symptomatic now, I told you can wait but there are less chances that it will get completely cured.

Your doctor has suggested to undergo surgery because it is a permanent relief and cure. It is just an option to wait and watch.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How is enlarged spermatic cord treated?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am a 42 year old male. In my right testicle, I think spermatic cord is enlarged. I do not have any pain. The right testicle feels firm and spermatic cord feels hard.  Read Full »

I took antibiotics for testicle pain. It has recurred after I finished the course. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 54 year old man, 5 feet and 8 inches, weighing 146 pounds. About six weeks ago, I started having intermittent pains and discomfort in my right testicle. Sometimes it was a dull ache, sometimes a sharper, stabbing pain. It seemed to radiate from a spermatocele cyst, which I have ...  Read Full »

Can inguinal hernias lower testosterone levels and decrease ejaculate volume?

Query: Hello doctor, While having sex with my wife six months ago, I had a severe pain in my stomach, which seemed to have originated from my testicles. The pain has never happened again. I live a pretty much normal day to day life. Since then, I have noticed a decrease in semen volume considerably. Now, ...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.