Q. I have pain in the epigastric region for three months. What should I do?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 30, 2021

I am having pain in my epigastric region for three months. But today it was very high. I am taking an antacid tablet and syrup. I feel better after taking it for a short period of time and after that, I started to have the same pain. What to do?

#

I understand your concern. From your history, you seem to have pain secondary to hypersecretion of acid. There are many other reasons to have upper abdominal pain. Do blood and stool test before taking medicines. For now, you can take capsule Esmoprazole 40 mg before breakfast once daily. Take syrup Gaviscon 15 ml four times daily after 30 minutes of taking food. You need to do other tests such as serum amylase, serum lipase, liver function test, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), serum lactic acid, and stool for H.pylori (Helicobacter pylori) antigen.

You seem to have uninvestigated dyspepsia.

You can have functional dyspepsia, peptic ulcer disease, pancreatic cause, and GB (gall bladder) pathology.

Have a follow-up after a week.

|