Epipens is the injection of epinephrine. These are used in emergency serious allergic reactions. Used in allergy to insect bites, foods, drugs, or other substances.
All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.
I got a bee sting on my neck and developed hives within an hour, but the symptoms resolved on medications. Should I be concerned about future stings and anaphylaxis?
Query: Hello doctor, The other night I was stung by a bee on my neck, and within an hour I developed non-itchy hives on both my arms. I went to the hospital where they gave me a Benadryl and by the next day there were hives on one of my legs. They all went away within 24 hours. I take medications for blood... Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad Aamir Sabir Chippa
Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is an allergic reaction type 1. I suggest you do a blood test for IgE (immunoglobulin E) levels. It is possible the second episode becomes worst but it is not necessary to be anaphylactic like swelling lips, breathing difficulty, and generalized edema. Follow up a... Read Full »
My 16-year-old son is allergic to tree nuts. Is it safe to use EpiPen?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a 16-year-old son who has always been sensitive to certain tree nuts; he is learned to avoid them over the years and has been fine. He has had mild reactions to cashew, walnuts, and pecan with itchy tongue, rash around his mouth, etc. nothing alarming; those symptoms would quickly ... Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim
Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. EpiPen (epinephrine) is essential in case of emergency, only if the allergic reaction is very severe. For those with a well-known allergy history, it is best to carry the EpiPen with them all the time because you do not know when they will hav... Read Full »
Please suggest treatment for anaphylaxis.
Query: Hi doctor, Last week, I was bitten by red ant. Within 5 minutes I was collapsed and immediately rushed to the hospital. My BP was low at 80/60 mmHg. It was detected as anaphylaxis. I hereby attaching the treatment sheet for your reference. Six months ago, my 2 year old son expired due to unknown ins... Read Full »
Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think that you have hereditary angioedema or severe allergy to red ant. I would suggest seeing an allergy specialist to get patch testing and specialized blood testing to identify other allergens that may cause potentially fatal reaction. Meanwhile, get an... Read Full »