HomeAnswersInternal Medicineerectile dysfunctionI am 30 year old male experiencing erectile dysfunction for four months. I am concerned if it is a permanent condition or if it can be cured. Kindly suggest.

Can injury or alcohol consumption be the causes of erectile dysfunction?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At September 21, 2023
Reviewed AtSeptember 21, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am 30 years old and have been experiencing erectile dysfunction (ED) for the past four months. My morning erections are weaker and less frequent, and my erections during sexual activity are not long-lasting, especially at certain times. It has been four months since I had a mild injury near the back of my left testicle or pelvis area during sexual activity. It was not very painful, but I experienced mild discomfort for a day and irritation during urination one to two times. I also had much alcohol the next day and did not have an erection for a week afterward. I am uncertain if the injury or drinking can cause this condition.

I am concerned about the following:

  1. Can injury or alcohol consumption be the cause of ED?
  2. How can I confirm if it is ED and not a mental problem?
  3. Is this a permanent condition? What steps can I take to alleviate my symptoms?
  4. Sometimes I experience very mild pain in my left testicle. Can it be associated with ED?

I rarely consume alcohol, have no other medical conditions, and tested negative for common STDs. Kindly help.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Ankush Jairath


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I am here to provide an expert opinion on your medical issues.

Erectile dysfunction is not associated with injury or alcohol consumption unless you are a chronic alcoholic. It is highly unlikely for ED to be a permanent condition at the age of 30 years. I suggest you follow the below-mentioned instructions:

  1. Get a penile doppler ultrasound to rule out ED.
  2. Take Tablet Tadalafil (Croscarmellose sodium) 2.5 mg once a day for two weeks.
  3. Get doppler ultrasound of the scrotum to rule out any pathology of the testicle.

Kindly consult a specialist, talk to them, and take medications with their consent.

I hope this information will help you.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Ankush Jairath
Dr. Ankush Jairath


Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy