Q. I am suffering from erectile dysfunction due to atherosclerosis. Is it manageable through siddha medicines?

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Published on Jul 28, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2019

I am suffering from erectile dysfunction due to atherosclerosis causing less blood flow to the penis, this may be due to family history of high cholesterol. The allopathy medicine suggested for this is Tadalafil 5 mg every day (vasodilator).

Is it manageable through Siddha medicines? I am 33 years old. My height is 176 cm, and I weigh 76 kg. I have borderline high cholesterol, and I do not have high blood pressure or diabetes. I do not have the habit of smoking or drinking. Please go through my blood reports.

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per your blood report, your cholesterol profile is above the upper limit. This might be the cause for the penile artery blockage (atherosclerosis plaque). But, I think the other possible reasons for erectile dysfunction may be:

1. Vessel wall thickening (arteriosclerosis - loss of elasticity of the artery).
  2. Inadequate branching pattern (compensatory collaterals are seen).
  3. Apart from cholesterol, this complication may also arise due to trauma in the penis (in younger or adult age).

For cholesterol, you consult a general physician and they would prescribe Simvastatin. This will reduce your cholesterol and reduce the plaque. If you wish to have sexual intercourse, on that day, take one tablet of Tadalafil before sexual activity. Otherwise, do not consume it regularly. It has many side effects. In Siddha, cholesterol, trauma or unknown cause induced erectile dysfunction can be treated using the following drugs:

1. Apply Laghu Vishamushti Thailam on the penis and do massage. Then place the penis in mild warm water for half an hour. This has to be done at night. No need to wash it. In the morning while bathing, the penis can be washed with soap. This will strengthen the penile nervous system.
  2. Nathai choori choornam - with 2 g (one teaspoon) of this choornam add sugar for taste and water to mix it. You will get a paste/gel. Consume it after food in the morning and at night. This will reduce the cholesterol and thereby atherosclerosis.
  3. Ratna purush Capsules - one capsule in the morning and evening after food.
  4. Idi vallathi mezhugu capsules - one capsule in the morning and one at night after food with palm jaggery and water (boiled).

Last two drugs can improve the vascularity to the penis and reduce further worsening of atherosclerosis complications.

Thank you doctor.

May I know the duration of the course. Are these Siddha medicines safe? There are recent reports stating that there is high metal content in Siddha and ayurveda medicines which may cause more damage to health.

Dr. Arul Amuthan

#

There are more than 10 lakh formulations documented in Siddha/Ayurveda. Among them, 1-2% have metals. Remaining all formulations (drugs) are pure herbals. above-suggested drugs do not have heavy metals and are safe for you.

I advise you to continue this therapy for a minimum of 3 months. If you do not find any improvement, then you can stop Siddha treatment for this problem. If you get mild to enough improvement, then continue for another 3 months. You can repeat the investigations after 6 months to see the improvements.

I also advise you to consult a general medicine physician for opinion regarding statins for a few months. This will help in controlling the familial (hereditary) high cholesterol problem.

Heart Healthy Foods

Article Overview: There are millions of people across the globe who suffer from various heart ailments like atherosclerosis, ischemic heart disease, myocardial infarction, coronary heart disease, and stroke. According to the American Public Health Association, a majority of the heart ailments are caused due to a faulty diet and lifestyle pattern owing to today’s sedentary lifestyle. People are so busy and stressful these days that they do not get enough time to exercise and even prepare a healthy meal and end up consuming junk bought from outside which is very palatable and sadly hazardous to health too. Read Article

Here are some of the reasons listed for the causes of various heart diseases. Consumption of Foods High in Bad Cholesterol Bad cholesterol is one which is rich in saturated fats and contains trans fat. Sources of trans fat include butter, ghee, margarine, lard, milk solids, etc. Trans fat is found...  Read Article

Why am I not having a proper erection?

Query: Hello doctor, How are you doing? I hope you are good. My age is 29, from the last 8 to 9 days, I did not have a proper erection. This did not happen with me earlier. I am a bit worried because of this issue, also I am sleeping at 4 O'clock in the morning and waking up at 9 O'clock in the morning. Pl...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of poor erection is due to poor blood to penile vasculature. The main cause is that a young person like you is psychological in nature like anxiety or tension due to poor communication between the partner or due to depression, fatigue, stress. The medical cond...  Read Full

Ask a Siddha Medicine Specialist Now