Q. I am unable to maintain erection during sex as like I have during foreplay and masturbation. Why?

Dr. Parth Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 04, 2019

I am 22 years old, and I have no trouble in getting an erection during masturbation or foreplay. However, when I try to have sex, I cannot maintain a tough erection while during foreplay and masturbation. At some point, I feel getting softer. I have an erection right up until the end of penetration then I start to go limp. I once had the head of my penis inside her, and I accidentally removed it, and my erection was quickly lost, and without removing the condom, it is hard to get it back.

Dr. Parth Singh

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

You have mentioned two essential things while describing your problem. Number one, you can achieve a proper erection and number two, you are a virgin. Keeping these facts in consideration, I would like you to know that you do not have any erectile dysfunction. The problem appears to be related to the unconscious and conscious anxiety that a person has typically while having sex for the first time.

When a male is getting ready for his first ever sex he is preoccupied with the thoughts about the outcome of the forthcoming sexual act ,e.g. whether you will be able to maintain erection during sex, whether or not the partner will notice my weaknesses and lack of experience, whether the experience is going to be satisfactory or not, whether or not you will be able to last long, whether you will be looking good or ugly without clothes, etc.

Such thoughts increase anxiety, and insecurity, which ultimately results in loss of erection while penetrating. Getting comfortable with the partner will help. Viagra although does not help in psychological erectile dysfunction still it is going to help you by maintaining a solid erection during penetration and thereby will boost up your confidence.

Flacid Penis just before Ejaculation during Masturbation

Query: Hello doctor, I had a minor bike accident four years back. A couple of days later, I realized that I was not getting erections. I consulted a urologist and was diagnosed with ED and was administered medicine (in sachets) to be emptied into a glass of water and consumed. That brought back interest in...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Relax and do not worry. If possible, please send me color doppler report. Also, do you watch porn or addicted to porn? If your penis doppler test is normal, then the cause is psychological may be due to excessive stress or porn induced erection problems. I see many c...  Read Full

Erectile Dysfunction in Diabetic Population

Article Overview: Erectile dysfunction is a condition when the person is not able to achieve or maintain an erection adequately to have intercourse. It is common in diabetes patients. Diabetics are at a higher risk (three times more likely) of developing erectile dysfunction compared to non-diabetic people. At least half the diabetics develop erectile dysfunction and the risk increases with age. So, why does erectile dysfunction happen? Why does diabetes lead to impotence? Here we discuss why. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal
Diabetologist

Erectile dysfunction is a condition when the person is not able to achieve or maintain an erection adequately to have intercourse. It is common in diabetics. People with diabetes are not only at a higher risk (three times more likely compared to nondiabetic people) of developing erectile dysfunction...  Read Article

Is erectile dysfunction related to my thyroid disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 72-year-old male with a height of 5 feet 6 inches and a weight of 78 kg. I have been on Eltroxin 100 mcg and Amloz 5 mg for two years for hypothyroidism. I am feeling fatigued and have an intense appetite. I have lost fertility for the last one year. My ESR value is 41. I also ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the details and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) report is not available. So kindly review the TSH report again. Coming to ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) at 41, it need not ...  Read Full

Ask a Sexologist Now