Q. Kindly explain about the tests required to diagnose erectile dysfunction.

Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 06, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 35 years old. I am married for last 4 years and having a kid. I led a sedentary lifestyle. My fasting blood sugar was 257 and PP was 353. My HbA1c was 11.3. I was diagnosed to have diabetes. I consulted my friend with is a doctor and under his guidance, I changed my diet and started the exercise. I reduced my weight from 103 kg to 91.2 kg. After three months, my fasting was 117 and PP 153 with HbA1c 6.5. My lipid profile is normal. For the past one week, when I check my glucose level in glucometer at home, it is less than 110. I am not in diabetes medicine. I think I have ED. What are the test that needs to be done to diagnose the same?

Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all, I like to inform you that there is no test which alone can tell you whether you have ED (erectile dysfunction) or not other than the history and proper physical examination. This is the thing which are done by the doctor when you present yourself in his or her office.

Based on the observation doctor decides whether the testes are required or not. In case required he only decides what are the tests required based on the available history details and clinical examination.

I mean to say that you need to see a properly trained sexologist to determine the number of tests required. This is because the presence of abnormal test does not mean the test abnormality is the cause of the problem and similarly, the presence of normal test result does not rule out the problem.

However, in routine practice, we order normal biochemistry (blood sugar, GTT - glucose tolerance test, HbA1c, lipid profile, LFT - liver function test, and thyroid profile), hormonal profile (free and total testosterone, prolactin, LH - luteinizing hormone, and FSH - follicle-stimulating hormone), USG abdomen and pelvis, and penile Doppler study among others. These are often a minimal requirement and the number of tests can change as per the need of the individual patients. I hope this helps you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

My HbA1c levels have reduced. Does it mean my diabetes is gone?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57 year male. Four months ago, the doctor declared that I am diabetic as my HbA1c was 10.7 %. I started with Glimisave M2 (two tablets per day) and Atorec 10 (one tablet at night), later on, I shifted to Glimisave M1 (two tablets per day) and Atorec 10 as usual. I take other su...  Read Full »

I am suffering from erectile dysfunction and under L-Arginine. Please solve my problem.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from erectile dysfunction. Early morning sex power is also very low. There is a quick immature erection. The genital part does not stand properly. Right now, I am taking 1000 mg L-Arginine once daily. Can you please solve my problem?  Read Full »

Is erectile dysfunction related to my thyroid disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 72-year-old male with a height of 5 feet 6 inches and a weight of 78 kg. I have been on Eltroxin 100 mcg and Amloz 5 mg for two years for hypothyroidism. I am feeling fatigued and have an intense appetite. I have lost fertility for the last one year. My ESR value is 41. I also ...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.