Q. Why did I face an erection problem while having sex for the first time?

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 16, 2021 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2021

I was having sex for the first time in my life. I never had any erection problem, and my penis was hard during the foreplay as well. I was able to put on the condom as well. However, since it was my first time, I was unable to put my penis inside the vagina properly. After 5 to 10 minutes of trying, I finally understood where to insert it, but my penis became soft. It does get hard but not like completely hard. It has never happened before. I have masturbated before many times, but I have never faced this issue. What could be the possible cause, and what should I do to get it hard again? Any medication or exercises, or any solution. I hope to hear from you soon.

#

Thanks for consulting us.

Obviously, on your first experience and stress of trying to put a penis inside, you will lose an erection. The parasympathetic system controls erection, and stress will stimulate the sympathetic nervous system that will lead to loss of erection, and this is normal. Erectile dysfunction is present in people usually above 40 years, especially those who have chronic medical issues like diabetes or hypertension or people on antidepressants or anti-hypertension apart from the patient who have hormonal abnormalities, not your case. I want to assure you that you do not have any abnormalities, and this can happen with any normal person who has sex for the first time.

If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards.

Thank you for the response.

I understand everything you just said. But I am having difficulty getting hard ever since. It does get hard but not completely. In situations where my penis would have, normally, gotten hard is showing little effect. It is seriously scaring me. What should I do? How much time will it take to get back to normal, and is there anything I should do or anything I should avoid? I hope to hear from you soon.

#

You can get your blood test done to check the testosterone level. If the hormone is normal, then this issue can be resolved without any need for any treatment on its own within few weeks. If your hormone is low, then you will require treatment. Please follow-up after the test result.

What to avoid is to reduce your stress by doing exercise and have time to relax and try to resolve your issues if you have any.

Kind regards.

|