Q. My mentally disabled uncle throws up whatever he eat. Kindly help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

My uncle is mentally disabled. Before he used to eat well and he was a healthy person, but the problem was that he eats fast and he could not control himself. And now everything he eats or drinks, he throws up immediately. Doctors said that his throat has narrowed and he should eat only liquid foods. Until few days ago that worked but as I said now everything he drinks or eats he throws up. He became very skinny. Can you please advise what we can do so that least he can eat something healthily?

#

Well, with the provided information, unfortunately, there is a high suspicion of esophageal (food pipe) cancer or stomach cancer. He should undergo an immediate upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy.

Since doctors said that he has narrowing of the esophagus, they probably have done endoscopy or done a CT (computed tomography) scan of the chest. Based on how significant the narrowing is, he should be considered for the stenting of the esophagus. Stenting is a procedure of putting a metallic stent in the esophagus to allow optimal food passage.

The other option are palliative radiofrequency ablation of the tumor to allow passage of the food. You should discuss these options with his treating physician.

|