Q. My mentally disabled uncle throws up whatever he eat. Kindly help.

Answered by
Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 04, 2020

Hi doctor,

My uncle is mentally disabled. Before he used to eat well and he was a healthy person, but the problem was that he eats fast and he could not control himself. And now everything he eats or drinks, he throws up immediately. Doctors said that his throat has narrowed and he should eat only liquid foods. Until few days ago that worked but as I said now everything he drinks or eats he throws up. He became very skinny. Can you please advise what we can do so that least he can eat something healthily?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Well, with the provided information, unfortunately, there is a high suspicion of esophageal (food pipe) cancer or stomach cancer. He should undergo an immediate upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy.

Since doctors said that he has narrowing of the esophagus, they probably have done endoscopy or done a CT (computed tomography) scan of the chest. Based on how significant the narrowing is, he should be considered for the stenting of the esophagus. Stenting is a procedure of putting a metallic stent in the esophagus to allow optimal food passage.

The other option are palliative radiofrequency ablation of the tumor to allow passage of the food. You should discuss these options with his treating physician.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I have little bumps on my genital area.What could it be?

Broadly, Radiofrequency ablation (RFA) works in all the above-mentioned conditions ...   Read full

Are difficulty in swallowing, coughing, and chest burn symptoms of esophageal cancer?

When I searched on the internet it says big diseases like esophageal cancer ... The symptoms you have been experiencing such as difficulty in swallowing and burning pain warrant a more exten...   Read full

Will HPV infection cause esophageal cancer?

My main concern, even though it is a worse case scenario, is esophageal cancer through HPV can occur, as my girlfriend was recently diagnosed with HPV ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What does amniocentesis mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 27 years old and 13 weeks pregnant now. As per suggestion from doctor, we went for a double marker test. It is found that trisomy 21 + NT risk is 1:86 and doctor suggested for amniocentesis procedure. Now I am confused and do not know what to do. My wife scared that the proce...  Read Full »

How is facet hypertrophy treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.  Read Full »

How to know if someone is depressed?

Query: Hi doctor, How do you decide if someone has depression or any other mental disease? How to differentiate it from mental retardation? Can it be the reason that he or she does not find anything interesting or exciting enough?  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Medical Gastroenterologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As content published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.