Q. I have pressure in my ears due to eustachian tube dysfunction. How to treat it?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

I was diagnosed with eustachian tube dysfunction last year, and the ENT suggested to put in a tube. But the tube never worked. I had pressure in my ears with muffled hearing. The clogged ear continued for two months and ENT said I have to live with it. This past week, I went to another ENT, and he said that the tube would have never worked as it was in the wrong spot and so he took it out and placed a patch. I was not prepared for this, so I did not ask any questions. I have no pain but a lot of pressure. I want to make this normal since I have gone through hell these last two months. I had a CAT scan with negative findings. I was on steroids three times and taking Advil now.

#

Did you get tympanometry done recently (it will tell us about the middle ear pressure)? If yes, please share the reports, and if no, you should get it done. Where exactly was the tube placed? Did the doctor mention that in his prescription or discharge summary? Can you share the details?

Also, are you talking about CT scan of the nose and paranasal sinuses? I want to see the films. Please send it. Sometimes sinusitis or deviated nasal septum causes an eustachian tube block. Once your primary problem is cured, automatically the eustachian tube block will recover. Do you have symptoms of nose block or headache (suggestive of sinusitis) or any hearing loss?

Since they just removed the tube last week, I guess they have to wait to do the tympani test. The CAT scan was of the temporal bone. I know I do not have sinus problems, but I am concerned about pressure to determine if this is part of the eardrum healing. They will not be able to do any testing for two weeks. Doctor did not say where the tube was placed but said my eardrum was small and would probably not go in correct place and also said that the tube was too big.

#

I will suggest you to get a CT (computed tomography) scan of the nose and paranasal sinuses. Sometimes deviated nasal septum or sinusitis may not cause nasal symptoms but may cause an eustachian tube block.

I know you will have to wait for the drum to heal before you get tympanometry done. If you have previous reports, you can even share them and repeat it once your drum heals. I know in your case, temporal bone scan should be normal as I am not expecting any ear infection.

You can take oral and nasal decongestants for five days and take steroid nasal spray (Fluticasone) for two weeks and see if the symptoms get relieved.

Do not worry about the healing of the eardrum. It will take around a month for it to heal, but there are some chances that you may have remnant eardrum perforation. You should consider getting a CT scan of the nose and paranasal sinuses done. If they have included your nose and paranasal sinuses in the temporal bone scan, you can even show me those films.

| 

Can sinusitis cause bad breath?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a persistent bad breath and bad taste in my mouth. I have excellent oral hygiene, and my dentist said my teeth and gums are all healthy. My doctor said that it could be sinus drainage, but I have dealt with this for years even when I have no drainage. It is ruining my personal life ...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for deviated nasal septum and sinusitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My 23 years old daughter has been suffering from a blocked nose for the past three months. She took Sinarest and Cefixime antibiotics tablets, and Nasivion S drops. She has only temporary relief from nose block. So, we took a CT scan of PNS (paranasal sinuses) recently. Clinical findi...  Read Full »

How to prevent sinusitis, dry nose and shivering during winters?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a recurring ailment that I usually get once or twice per winter. It starts with extreme shivering and overheating, but no fever. Day two usually involves a very dry nose, very low energy, and heightened sensitivity to touch or light. Days 3 to 5 usually involve more traditional...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»