Q. I am getting a ringing sound in my ear when I am sitting below the fan. Why?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am getting a ringing sound in my ear from the last three to four weeks. When I consulted the ENT specialist, he advised that I feel the ringing sound due to congestion in the nose. He told me to take Jupicef or Provo Oz or Epicord-4, and Forpan- DSR tablets for five days. And also, Naam Cold nasal drops. As I have completed my full course of five days, my ear sounds become low, but I feel the ringing sound in both ears when I am sitting below the fan and sometimes feeling a little bit of pain from the inside of the ears. As he also suggests to take Montair Fx tablet for ten days. I am also taking steam three times a day. Please suggest am I following the correct prescriptions because I feel the sound of ringing when I am sitting below the fan.

#

You need not worry, as this is a very common treatable entity we come across. You have developed what we call Eustachian tube catarrh, which has developed secondary to nasal allergy/inflammation. The eustachian tube basically ventilates the nose and the ear. A negative pressure develops in the ear's side in a situation where it does not function, leading to a feeling of vacuum, ringing sounds, feeling of fluid in the ear, and sometimes decreased hearing.

This can be treated by attempting to open the tube by the following advice.

1. Using Decongestant nasal drops containing Oxymetazoline or Xylometazoline three drops three times a day for one week.

2. Tablet containing a combination of Phenylephrine and Levocetirizine one tablet two times a day after food 12 hours apart for one week.

3. Doing Valsalva maneuver exercises (you can follow a video on the internet for the same).

4. Taking steam three to four times a day.

5. Refrain from the use of earbuds.

6. Avoid having anything cold or spicy for the next two weeks.

7. Please take care to avoid dust exposure; all nasal allergies have to be appropriately treated, failing which the catarrh will recur.

8. You can consider Duonase (Fluticasone Propionate and Azelastine) nasal spray (or it is equivalent) two puffs in each nostril two times a day for six weeks.

It typically takes around two to four weeks for things to settle down. Once the nasal allergies have settled down, the ear's fluid will slowly reduce, and it is associated with symptoms (tinnitus, decreased hearing, etc.) will disappear. I hope I have answered your query in detail. If there is anything more you need to know or enquire, do let us know, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Warm regards.

Thank you for your reply.

Can I continue to use Montelukast Sodium and Fexofenadine Hydrochloride tablet (Montair Fx) because ringing in the air continues? As I am frustrated by all these sounds. I have already taken five pills of Montair Fx.

#

Please shift over to tablet Sinarest (Acetaminophen, Chlorpheniramine, and Pseudoephedrine) instead of Montair Fx (Montelukast and Fexofenadine). Also, continue all the medications mentioned above so that the maximum effect will be made, and the inflammation in the nose will come down. Once the inflammation subsides, the eustachian tube function will resolve, and the ringing sound should start coming down slowly. This might take four to six weeks (after starting the above treatment), so please be patient, and hopefully, things will gradually resolve. Do let me know regarding any doubts or problems you are facing.

Warm regards.

Thank you for your reply.

What do the above medicines means that you have suggested? Please also mention the dosages and limitations.

#

Yes, kindly follow all the medications mentioned above. There is no such thumb rule limit, but generally speaking, the time frame mentioned is usually more than enough for the symptoms to subside. Taking medications over the mentioned duration does not bring any such positive change or benefit and hence avoided. It is always better to stick to the time duration mentioned for each medication in the previous conversations. Do let us know if there are any issues you are facing, and we will try to revert as soon as possible.

Warm regards.

|