Q. I am suffering from ear pain, and feel like the whole head is blocked. Why?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 01, 2021

I am suffering from ear pain, and a kind of the whole head is blocked like sensation. The left and right ears are blocked with some air or water-like state. I have this ear pain for four days gradually on the same pain note. I have taken Aceclofenac with Paracetamol and Amoxicillin. I have also tried Otorex ear drops, but the pain neither reduced nor increased. The right ear is kind of inflamed and does not even let the drops go through. I am already on Deplatt A, Concor, and Imdur in the morning and Amlong and Rosuvastatin in the night for my angina complaint. I am also on Thyronorm 75 mcg in the morning.

I am scared to go out to a hospital due to the pandemic effects, so please advise.

#

It looks like you have developed what we call a eustachian tube catarrh. This tube ventilates both the nose and the ear and can get blocked due to allergy or sinusitis or any upper respiratory infection such as common flu. If you have allergic issues, it has to be adequately treated. Tablet Sinarest (a combination of Acetaminophen, Chlorpheniramine Maleate, and Phenylephrine Hydrochloride) one tablet two times a day, i.e., 12 hours apart for one week can be considered. Otrivin nasal drops three times a day for ten days should also help. Valsalva exercise 15 to 20 times a day. Steam inhalations also do give a little relief. Antibiotics and painkillers will not help as it does not treat the problem. However, complete the course of your antibiotics and do not stop them halfway.

|