Q. I get recurrent ear infections with nosebleeds. Kindly help.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

I had an ear infection a year before. I now have the same symptoms (bleeding from the nose and pressure in the ear). I used Neomycin and Polymyxin B sulfates, and Hydrocortisone optic solutions ear drops, but it looks like it is not enough for five days. Can you prescribe me or add any other medicine because it came back?

#

You need to be worried about nothing as this is a very common entity that we come across and is treatable. You have probably developed an acute infection of the eardrum due to eustachian tube catarrh, and that is why there is severe pain.

You can consider the following treatment advice.

1. Take a tablet containing a combination of Cefuroxime 500 mg plus Potassium clavulanate 125 mg one tablet three times a day for five days. This is an antibiotic and can create loose motions in a few. If you happen to develop loose motions, you can start probiotics one tablet in the morning and evening for the next week.

2. Take tablet Zerodol P (Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) one tablet two times a day after food 12 hours apart for five days. This is an anti-inflammatory and pain killer.

3. Please stop using earbuds at any cost as it introduces a new infection into the ear canal and can be the reason for excruciating folliculitis. You can end up traumatizing the ear canal and eardrum since cleaning your ear on your own is completely a blind technique. The wax, which usually falls off on its own due to jaw movements, gets further pushed inside the ear and can cause trouble.

4. Take tablet Sinarest (Paracetamol, Phenylephrine Hydrochloride and Chlorpheniramine maleate) one tablet in the morning and evening after food for one week.

5. Keep your ears dry.

6. Nasal drops containing Oxy/Xylometazoline three drops three times a day for one week.

7. Stay away from the dust by wearing an N95 mask as much as possible.

8. Do steam inhalations three to four times a day for one week.

|