Q. I have Eustachian tube catarrh and experiencing earaches and hearing loss. What to do?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 11, 2021

I have eustachian tube catarrh. Previously, I had only the symptoms of tinnitus. Now after pinching my nose aggressively, I have earache on one of my ears with hearing loss. What is the cause?

#

I would like to explain your condition briefly. The eustachian tube is the connecting tube between the nasopharynx and middle ear. Dysfunction in the eustachian tube causes hearing loss, fullness of ears, and tinnitus. When you blow your nose forcefully, air enters from the nose to the middle ear. It can cause dysfunction in the ear ossicle and eardrum. You can have symptoms due to this reason. Avoid blowing your nose forcefully as it can cause perforation in the eardrum and it can lead to hearing loss in the future with an ear infection.

You can use Oxymetazoline nasal spray 0.05% two to three drops three times a day for seven days. You can take tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg twice a day for 14 days. Take tablet paracetamol 500 mg twice a day. Do steam inhalation two times a day. Avoid having entry of water in your ears. Avoid flying, swimming, and climbing mountains for few weeks. If the symptoms persist or deteriorates, then you need to consult an otolaryngologist soon.

|