Q. I hear a whistling and silent sound in my left ear since yesterday. Please help.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

I hear a whistling sound and a silent sound in the left ear since yesterday. I consulted an ENT, she prescribed some medicines to kill any infection, and gave me a nasal spray for the cold. There is no improvement yet. Also, I feel that it is starting in the right ear, but I am not sure. Can you please help me with this?

#

Do not worry about anything as this is a prevalent treatable entity we come across. You have developed a eustachian tube catarrh which has developed secondary to nasal allergy or inflammation.

The eustachian tube basically ventilates the nose and the ear. In a situation where it does not function, a negative pressure develops in the side of the ear leading to a feeling of vacuum, ringing sounds, feeling of fluid in the ear, and sometimes decreased hearing.

This can be treated by attempting to open the tube with the following advice.

1. Using Decongestant nasal drops containing Oxymetazoline or Xylometazoline three drops three times a day for one week.
  2. Combination tablet Phenylephrine and Levocetirizine one tablet two times a day after food (12 hours apart) for one week.
  3. Do Valsalva exercises. There are numerous videos available online. You can watch them.
  4. Taking steam three to four times a day.
  5. Refrain yourself from the use of earbuds.
  6. Avoid having anything cold or spicy for the next two weeks.
  7. Please take care to avoid dust exposure. All nasal allergies have to be treated properly, failing which the catarrh will recur.
  8. You can consider Duonase nasal spray (Fluticasone propionate 50 mcg and Azelastine hydrochloride 140 mcg) or its equivalent two puffs in each nostril two times a day for six weeks.

This typically takes around two to four weeks for things to settle down. Once the nasal allergies have settled down, the fluid in the ear will slowly reduce, and its associated symptoms (tinnitus, decreased hearing, etc.) will disappear.

I hope I have answered your query in detail. If there is anything more you need to know or enquire about, let me know, and we will get back to you.

Warm regards.

|