Q. My son is worried and depressed about his final exams. Kindly advise.

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 22, 2020

My son is 22 years old and doing final year college. He used to be good at studies. During his first year college, he was in love with a girl and that was a one side affair. So, he became depressed. He was diagnosed with acute psychosis and treated with Divalproex sodium and Olanzapine. He was stabilized by then. He continued medication for three months and then stopped it. Again, before four months, he became hyperactive, sleepless, angry and began to feel invincible. He was being treated for acute mania with Lithium carb 900 mg and Olanz 15 mg. Now, he has to appear for his final examinations and he is too much worried and depressed. Sometimes, he cries. I took him to the same doctor and he gave some antidepressant, but no improvement in the last six days. Only we have five more days to exam. Kindly advice what to do.

#

I can understand the situation that you and your son are in and you have my sympathies for the same.

If worry and exam anxiety are the main issues currently, then he can be given tablet Trika SR (Alprazolam) 0.5 mg in the morning daily.

This can be given till his exams are over. Alprazolam should help to certain extent by temporarily reducing worries and stress.

Bipolar depression takes time to respond and I am sorry to say that there is no therapy, which will treat it instantaneously. Continue with the prescribed medication and things will hopefully improve with passing days.

I would also like to recommend that you convince him not to burden himself with the pressure of exam unnecessarily. The priority must be on coming out of bipolar depression and remaining normal in the future with proper treatment.

If he is not able to clear the exam this time, he can always do it at the next opportunity. You could also consider the option of not appearing for the exam if you feel that failing in the exam will hurt him emotionally more.

For further information consult a psychologist counsellor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

|