Q. Is regular running bad for heart?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2021

I am a 40 year old female. I am an avid runner. I run 5 to 7 miles daily. Is this bad for my heart?

I keep reading that I could be damaging my heart instead of hurting it. I have tried only running 3 to 4 miles instead of the longer mileage, and it makes me crabby.

I have no heart disease in my family.

#

Jogging is a good exercise, and it benefits the whole body including the cardiovascular system. So, you need not worry about this.

• Regarding exercise, it is best to change the pace of physical activity such as running, jogging, etc.
  • Running at a smooth, fast pace is not so good. It is more beneficial to change the pace while running. It keeps blood pressure, and heart's activity in spikes and body tries to control it in its controlled environment.
  • I would recommend going for routine heart examination and followups once in every three to five months to keep an eye on your body's overall health.

For further doubts consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|