Q. Why do I get swelling in the eyes predominantly in the morning?

Dr. Pooja Pandya

My eyes are swollen especially in the morning. I find it hard to open my eyes after a nap or when I wake up in the morning. After that, I am fine during the day with watery eyes sometimes. No itching but it is little reddish when it is hot.

Around the first week of March, I went to see an opthalmologist who told me I had a bacterial infection of both eyes. I was prescribed Vigamox and after seven days my eyes were fine. Due to quarantine, I was not able to go back to my doctor. Around the last week of April, I had the same symptoms and since I cannot go out I treated my eyes with Vigamox again and was healed after seven days. After that from time to time, I have swelling, not much but mostly in the morning.

I am a 68-year-old female. I have allergies, seafood, pollen, and dust. I take Allerta or Claritin from time to time to relieve my allergies. I smoke but I am trying to quit, before 6 to 10 sticks, now reduced to four or five.

#

As you have described in your history it is looking like an infection in your eyes. Can you please send your eye image to me? So that I can get an exact idea about your condition and depend upon that we can plan further. It is better if I can see your eye condition and then prescribe you drops. So my advice is to please attach your eye image as soon as possible so that we can start your treatment as early as possible and you will feel better after treatment.

I am attaching my eye image.

#

I have seen the picture. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Along with Vigamox (Moxifloxacin) eye drops you can use Carboxy methylcellulose eye drops for a week. You should do cool compression with ice or ice pack whichever is available at a time. So that your congestion will get relived and you will get rid of this problem.

Infective etiology.

As per now, nothing is needed.

Conjunctivitis.

Carboxymethyl cellulose eye drops 1% six times a day. Moxifloxacin six times a day as you are already using but instead of three times you have to use six times a day. Cool compression with ice or icepack thrice a day.

Avoid eye rubbing and touching. Maintain hand hygiene before putting drops.

After one week.

|