Facial Nerve Damage

I have an issue with my smile. Is that a psychological problem or nerve issue?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 16 years old and not good. I have a smile issue. I think it started before 5 years if I am not wrong. I feel like I cannot put a smile for more than 3 to 4 seconds ,and sometimes I think it trembles. My smile is very uncomfortable and weird. This whole thing has caused me social anx...  Read Full »

Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Smile is a complex process executed by a group of muscles and nerves. If you are having difficulty while smiling, then it could be because of psychological or organic cause. Psychological cause includes anxiety disorders, and organic cause includes nerve damage. I woul...  Read Full »

If I get facial nerve damage during mastoidectomy, is there a chance of repair?

Query: Hello doctor, I am about to undergo a mastoidectomy next month, due to long term cholesteatoma (over five years). The surgery will entail removing a large amount of the mastoid bone. Of course, with this surgery comes the risk of damage through an incision of the facial nerve. This worries me a lot...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The risk of facial nerve injury even in revision mastoid surgeries is less than 10 %. However, if there is cholesteatoma sitting on the facial nerve or facial canal is dehiscent, there is more susceptibility to FN (facial nerve) damage. Is there any prior facial wea...  Read Full »

Are altered taste and less saliva production related to Bell's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have followed your advice regarding back pain. My pain is minimal, and I am still continuing with the exercise. Now, I have another problem. My appetite has become very poor, and I cannot eat most of the things I used to eat before. This became an issue even before the Bell's palsy prob...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your symptoms in detail. Both altered taste and less saliva are actually because of your Bell's palsy. As you know, Bell's palsy affects the facial nerve. Facial nerve function includes taste perception as well as 50% of saliva production. The alt...  Read Full »

Why do my facial muscles change shape when I am under stress?

Query: Hello doctor, I never bothered to worry about this before but someone said I should see a doctor about this. The problem I have is that my facial muscles seem to always change shape when I am under stress. I remember someone once telling me he knew what was wrong with me. He said my face needs to b...  Read Full »

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very strange if your facial muscles tend to change shape on daily basis. I know of a few conditions in which facial flushing (redness) can occur due to increased blood flow, but the change in facial musculature with food intake or under stress is not a common t...  Read Full »

Please help me understand the outcome of my brain tumor surgery.

Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I had CyberKnife surgery for a brain tumor. Today, I had my MRI again. I want to know the report. Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Uphar Gupta

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The MRI brain showed that the mass is pressing the fifth cranial nerve, which takes the sensations from the face to the brain. The good news is that the vital cavernous sinus is not compressed and hence the mass is resectable. Please send me the full image and the report ...  Read Full »

Is there any nerve regeneration treatment for Bell's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with Bell's palsy before 10 days. Half of my facial muscles are not working. I had swelling of the salivary gland near the ear before this issue. The MRI brain scan did not show stroke. Currently, I am on Prednisone and Valtrex. Is there any nerve regeneration treatm...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your symptoms and your question. All your symptoms, including the weakness of the facial muscles and taste issues are because of facial nerve dysfunction. It is a good thing that your MRI is normal. The treatment that you have been prescribed is also proper, ...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest if my father needs operation for the lump under his ear.

Query: Hi doctor, About a month ago, my father found a lump under his ear. On consultation, the doctors suggested for a few tests. From the test results, they suggested for an operation to remove that lump. But, there may be some risk involved in the operation like paralysis in any part of face (ear, nose ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Verma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all your father's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which are suggestive of parotid tumor. The treatment of choice for such lesion is surgery (superficial parotidectomy), which definitely carries a risk of damage to the facial nerve tha...  Read Full »