Q. Why do I experience fasciculations in different parts of my body?

Dr. Upendra Kumar Shah

I have some questions in regards to some symptoms I have had recently. Around two years back, from September to December, I have had a series of twitching or fasciculations all around my body parts, such as my forearm, face, cheeks and eyebrows, fingers, and thumbs, and occasionally in my biceps and shoulders. The twitching was very random and could happen for two days in my forearm, then stops and begins in my fingers for three days, only to stop again and come back very spontaneously and randomly. The twitching completely went away after December.

Around a year back in November, the twitching came back again and was similar to what I had a year prior, sporadic and random twitches all over my body. This lasted until December of the same year. At that time, I decided to visit the doctor. The doctor did a comprehensive physical examination that took 45 minutes. It comprised of walking, doing squats, testing my shoulder strength, arm strength, eye movement, and much more. I turned out to be completely normal. He did two additional tests:

1) Magnetic resonace imaging (MR)I for my cervical spine, which turned out to be normal.

2) Electromyography (EMG) test in which electrical shocks were sent to my muscles to test activity. This was the response from the EMG test:

"EMG test has been conducted, and no significant deviations were found. Slight deviations were found in the right arm ulnar nerve of unclear clinical significance. The investigation has now ended, and the patient is informed to return if symptoms come again or new symptoms emerge. Interpreted as benign fasciculations that spontaneously stopped".

I want a second opinion; given all of the above, should I be worried about my symptoms? Is the "slight deviation" to my right arm ulnar nerve anything to worry about?

#

As per the description, I do not think you need to worry. It is just a benign fasciculation. You are absolutely fine. You can ignore the right ulnar nerve deviated finding. Given that you had fasciculations all over, why is it only localized and your physical examination was normal? However, I would like to see what was the exact deviation.

Hello doc, thanks for your response.

Pertaining to the exact result from the EMG I dont have that in handy right now, but will ask for it.

Can you please elaborate on the "slight deviations" from the ulnar nerve? What could it possible be as a result of? Could it potentially be dangerous?
# Hi, welcome.
There is no term "Slight deviation " in the reporting of EMG, I don't know what neurophysiologist want to convey. There are slight changes which varies in person to person, which are normal.

Thank you

|