Q. I have just one kidney, can I fast?

Dr. Vivekanandan G
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 07, 2019

8 months back, I was detected with kidney tumor and immediately had an operation. In that operation, one kidney was removed. My health has slowly improved and now doctors say that I am fine. I want to know, this year after 8 months, can I keep my roza during the month of ramzan? Is it advisable to fast for a month? Every day I will not be drinking water or eating anything from sunrise to sunset. Please advice. Thank you.

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

I would strongly advice you against fasting for ramzan.

• This is because, dehydration is not good for solitary kidney and you can end up landing in trouble. So, it is better if you avoid fasting hereafter.

For further information consult a urologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

Do I have to follow this instruction for life long? In future, can I fast or not? I am traveling abroad in three months for ten days. Could you tell me the precautionary measures as well as do's and dont's while holidaying. I get fever and infection very soon after surgery. Thank you.

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

• I would sincerely advice you never to go without water for a long period ever in your life.
  • During travel, make sure that you are well hydrated all the time. Also, do not take painkillers and unhygienic food.
  • You can take urinary antibiotic like Levofloxacin ten tablets with you. You can start them immediately if you have burning urination or fever with chills.

Generally, nothing happens like that. So, relax and enjoy your holidays.

For further queries consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

What food can help maintaining BP in a patient with creatinine level 2.7?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's creatinine is 2.7. Now BP is brought to normal. What food should I give and what to do?  Read Full »

My creatinine is 3.05 mg/dL. How bad is it?

Query: Hello doctor, My blood report came today surprise me that my creatinine is 3.05 mg/dL. How bad is it? I am very concerned. Is there any way I can avid dialysis and treat with medication, diet and excursive. Please guide me if possible. I am taking Verapamil ER 180 mg and Atorvastatin 20 mg for hig...  Read Full »

Why is my postprandial blood sugar 209?

Query: Dear Doctor, My blood sugar report says that I have readings of Fasting Blood Sugar: 145 and Postprandial Blood Sugar: 209. I am on insulin. Please advise me as early as possible.  Read Full »