HomeAnswersMedical Gastroenterologyfatty liverI have a fatty liver with the habit of alcohol consumption. Kindly help me with medications.

What is the treatment for fatty liver and gas issues?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 25, 2022
Reviewed AtSeptember 7, 2023

Patient's Query

Hope you are doing great. I am sending you LFT test reports of last year and second taken yesterday. I already have fatty liver. For the past six months my alcohol consumption has been bit high. I have completely given up alcohol for the past two days and will not drink. I do not smoke. I am in a foreign country now. Could you please prescribe me proper diet with which I can reduce GGT? Lately I have been having few gas issues which I never had. Do I need any medications? Kindly help.

You are developing alcoholic fatty liver disease. You need to cut down and stop alcohol consumption.

I suggest you follow medicines that you may discuss with your doctor and get a prescription.

1. Tablet Pantop LS (Levosulpiride and Pantoprazole) once daily empty stomach for one month.

2. Tablet Udiliv (Ursodeoxycholic acid) 300 twice daily for one month.

3. Tablet Glutathione 500 mg once daily for one month.

4. Do regular exercise and walk.

Repeat tests after 1 month and write back to me.

Patient's Query

Thank you for the reply.

Thanks a lot for your speedy response. I have a couple of questions.

1. If I get medicines of same composition but diffèrent brands or companies, is it fine?

2. With the right diet, exercise, and no alcohol, can I reverse this. In your vast experience, what do you think? It can be reversed, right?

3. Could you please suggest any particular diet module that I can follow.

4. The tests in the country I am working are very costly. Is it fine if I continue these medications for two months and then take a test?

Kindly suggest.

1. Yes, you can but take good brands.

2. Yes, it is reversible.

3. Exact diet module you can take through a dietician. As per me, take a low carbohydrate, low-fat diet and no alcohol.

4. Yes, there are no issues. You can get tests done after two months and continue these medicines for two months.

Patient's Query

This is in continuation to my query about the fatty liver issue. I am glad to inform you that I have lost weight by doing intermittent fasting and exercise for an hour daily. I want to ask you whether I can have supplements like l-arginine (weight loss), and milk thistle for the liver.

in the world can aid in weight loss. I really do not support the use of these products. Exercise and diet modification is the key. However, as a meal replacement, I give to my patients a protein powder. This would help you in reducing weight as well as maintain the protein status of your body.

I would recommend you not to consider L arginine or milk thistle. Now in case you are a diabetic, then I can help you with a few medicines of diabetes that help in weight loss.

I hope it helps.

Patient's Query

I am fully aware that only supplements will not help. I have actually modified my diet and doing regular exercises and I will not compromise on it. I was of the opinion that adding supplements to my rigid diet might fasten the process but I think I was wrong. I will buy the protein supplement that you have prescribed. Secondly, I did an LFT test and the results are very good I think. Please have a look and let me know if should I continue my medications or stop them. I have also attached the lipid profile test. It was around 274 last year so it has reduced significantly. Not taking any medications for cholesterol though. Every morning I have a bottle of guard juice on an empty stomach.

Your report are absolutely good.

Patient's Query

Thanks a lot for your comforting advice when I had the first test. That gave me the confidence to reverse the results. Should I continue the medications? I have already bought the medicines for three months. I know it is a stupid question, but since the reports are good can I occasionally drink?

Yes, you can stop the medicines now. But I would not recommend you to consume alcohol. The maximum that I can permit you is a glass of beer occasionally.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Read answers about:

alcoholismfatty liver

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Medical Gastroenterology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy