Q. Am I at risk for AIDS if I did not take the post-exposure prophylaxis after unprotected homosexual intercourse?

Dr. Davie Wong

I had unprotected sex with a homosexual friend. There was no bleeding, so I did not take post-exposure prophylaxis. I took HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) 1 and 2 Duo (antigen and antibody) test after the 40th day of exposure. The result was non reactive value = 0.190. I took HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) 1 PCR RNA quantitative viral load after 43rd day of exposure. The result target is not detected yet. Am I risk-free?

#

Your 4th generation HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) serology is negative. Your HIV viral load is < 120 IU/mL or < 54 copies/mL. According to the interpretation of your report, it means there might be HIV virus in your blood that is below the lower limit of detection. 99% of HIV-infected individuals would be detectable by the 4th generation antibody test within 44 days of exposure. Your test was done at 40 and 43 days post-exposure, which should be sufficient to detect HIV if you actually got infected. Overall, your test results are are not in favour of HIV infection. To clarify the confusing results, I advise you to get another HIV serology to be absolutely sure. If you truly have HIV, then the serology should be positive. The HIV viral load should be done if you test positive by serology. The viral load is not a diagnostic test. Have you had any sexual contact since you have got this test done?

Thank you for your reply.

But the viral load result was shown as not detected. Yes, I had sex with my wife. Should I get another HIV duo test?

#

Your result for the HIV viral load is reported as < 120 IU/mL or < 54 copies/mL. It is near the top of the report. You can repeat your serology now if you feel the need to.

|