Q. Is it possible to contact HIV infection through an open wound?

Dr. Barve Vaibhav Saidas

I am highly stressed as I had intercourse with a sex worker with a condom that did not penetrate inside. But after taking out my penis, I masturbated myself with the condom on, and now I am worried about a few things. First, I always have a cut on my thumb as I keep biting, and it bleeds sometimes. So can that be a risk if her vaginal fluid on the condom came in contact with my wound? Second, I removed the condom and masturbated, so can the vaginal fluid on the condom enter my penis tip from my hands? Third, I got herpes zoster after a month of exposure. Is that a symptom of HIV? Please help.

#

Do not get stressed.

Get tested for HIV-1 and HIV-2 (human immunodeficiency virus), HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen), and HCV (hepatitis C virus).

Severe herpes zoster can be seen in HIV. Kindly follow up once you get the reports.

Thank you for the reply.

I am too scared to get tested. Please tell me if the exposure I have mentioned is risky. Primarily because of the open wound on my thumb, which rubbed on vaginal fluid on a condom while masturbating. I also got a sore throat after 50 days of exposure. Please go through my details and help me.

#

First, ask the sex worker if she has HIV or STDs (sexually transmitted diseases). The risk is moderate, and a sore throat is a general infection and not diagnostic of HIV.

Please tell me who diagnosed herpes zoster infection? Did you consult any doctor?

Thank you for the reply.

I consulted my family doctor when I got shingles behind my ear, he gave me an antiviral for a week, and it was cleared. I am not in touch with her as I met her in a foreign country. Is it practically possible to contact infection through a wound? I want to know as we had a protected sex.

#

In very rare cases, the transmission of HIV can be through an open wound.

Do not worry.

Thank you for the reply.

Also, please tell me if HIV symptoms can come after 50 days or if there are any unusual symptoms to look for? I am really scared of the HIV test.

#

There are no unusual symptoms, and do not be scared of HIV testing. After testing, you will feel better.

|