Fear Of Rabies

Can I have rabies even after getting vaccinated after dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I was bitten by a dog last year. The gate of the dog was wide open and when I passed near it, the dog bit me. It bit me on my right leg. After that, I rushed to the hospital for vaccination. The nurse injected something on the wound every time when I went to the hospital. They also injec...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You do not need to worry because you are safe and you do not have rabies. So please leave your fear. Usually, when the dog dies within two weeks we suspect that the dog can have rabies. But in your case, it has been nine months, and you got va...  Read Full »

Can serology test detect rabies?

Query: I’m worried my rabies serology test results will be inaccurate. Is it possible for an unbound pathogen to end up in the blood sample and antibodies to multiply from that?  Read Full »

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md

General Practitioner, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: My dear, If every physician would be as concerned and worried as you are, the world would be a safer place. However, these “IFs” that your mind produces are a symptom of an OCD spectrum disorder with health issues as its main topic. Of course you are protected against rabies, the vac...  Read Full »

How many shots do you need after a dog scratches you?

Query: Hi doctor, I was scratched by a stray dog as he got excited while I fed him, and his nail scratched my knee. The dog was calm and had no unusual behavior. I washed the scratch and went to the emergency room for an injection. Doctor gave Rabivax and said immunoglobulin is not required as the scratch...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should not be worried much because you have got vaccinated, even with immunoglobulin. Please observe the dog, and if nothing changes, you can be chill. And if you are very curious, you can get follow-up vaccines on days 3, 7, 14, and 28. And if you get any symptoms...  Read Full »

Is pulsating sensation after dog bite an initial symptom of rabies?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been bitten by a stray dog on the left leg on March 10th. The next day I went to a nearby doctor and he advised me to take two doses of vaccine as I had taken three doses earlier before four years. There was no blood visible at the wound and I washed it in soapy water also for ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, yes this is not a symptom of rabies and it would have progressed by now if it was rabies. Also, since you are vaccinated and the dog is still alive, you are unlikely to get rabies. So, it is unlikely to be rabies and trust local doctors. Also, keep watch ov...  Read Full »

Can rabies virus survive outside host if exposed to sunlight?

Query: Hello doctor, Can rabies virus survive outside host on grass or leaves if it is exposed to sunlight?  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Microbiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, UV rays of the sun are known to kill the virus. So usually they do not survive outside the body when exposed to the sunlight.  Read Full »

Is rabies a contagious disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I was bitten by a dog 13 days ago. I took anti-rabies vaccine after 25 hours of the bite. I have taken three vaccines until now. I had oral sex with my wife and by mistake, I bit her at neck two days ago. Should she also receive the anti-rabies vaccine? The dog is still alive.  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Contact with someone who is receiving rabies vaccination does not constitute rabies exposure and does not require post-exposure prophylaxis. For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full »

Are my sore throat, dry mouth, and fever due to rabies?

Query: Hello doctor, A dog tried to bite me on the road. I withdrew my hand fast and so it has teeth just grazed my skin. I thoroughly inspected my hand and there was no cuts or bleeding. I washed my hand after the incident and it has been one week since the episode. Yesterday, I started the rabies vaccin...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is unlikely to be rabies. I suggest having tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once a day along with some antacid like tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast once a day for five days if this sore throat persists for more than three days. For now, I suggest Betadine ...  Read Full »

I took antirabies vaccine only 13 days after a shrew mouse bite. Am I at risk?

Query: Hello doctor,I had taken two antirabies shots ten and three months back for a dog bite. A shrew that had entered the house bit me on my back two weeks back. There was no bleeding even on applying pressure on the area, but the next day I noticed a small clot on my back like the one we have after a sc...  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Dermatologist, Venereologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rabies vaccination should ideally be started on day 0. But, you have not developed any symptoms. So, it is not late to start vaccination now. You should complete the five-injection rabies schedule. Since it was a category-2 exposure, the immunoglobulin is not requ...  Read Full »

My foot is swollen after being scratched by cat. Am I infected with rabies?

Query: Hello doctor, I was scratched by a cat in my left foot and a little blood went out. It was like three or four days until now, when I noticed that my left foot is a little swollen. Am I already infected by rabies?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Because of the dog bite, inflammation can develop and in inflammation swelling can occur and pain also can be there. The incubation period for rabies is two weeks. So, you are not having rabies but to prevent it if you are not vaccinated then get rabies vaccine beca...  Read Full »

I get anxious with the thought that I am infected with rabies. What can I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been anxious since I thought I was bitten by a cat last year. I am pretty sure that I am immune to rabies because I was not bitten but the problem is, every time I feel something in my body, I get really anxious because of the thought that the illness was caused by rabies. My m...  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have a phobia about rabies. You could benefit from counselling. If that does not work, then you might need anti-anxiety drugs. Practicing meditation can also take your mind off it. Basically, you need to divert your mind elsewhere. The less you think about...  Read Full »