Q. Do I need a tetanus or rabies vaccine after being scratched by my dog, which is fully vaccinated?

Dr. Sugreev Singh

My dog is up-to-date on its vaccinations. But accidentally, my dog scratched me a couple of days ago. The scratch was hard enough to break the skin and cause bleeding. Would I need rabies or tetanus shot for this?

Thanks.

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern.

Yes, it is advisable to get a rabies vaccine as prophylactic. Since bleeding was there, you might be contaminated. However, the chances of rabies infection are rare because your dog is vaccinated. But still, for prevention, you can get vaccinated. Wash your wound with running water.

It will help if you send me a picture of the wound.

Take care.

Thanks for the response.

I had the total five-shot dose of rabies vaccinations before seven months. The dog scratch occurred four days ago. I have attached an image.

Thanks.

#

If you have got all the vaccines recently and your dog is fully vaccinated, then the rabies vaccination is not required now. You can dress the wound by applying ointment Soframycin (Framycetin) twice daily and covering it with a bandage (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

Take care.

|