Q. Is it possible to get rabies after getting a handshake from a street dog?

Dr. N. Ashok Viswanath

I give milk and bread to street dogs every day. One of them shakes hands with me daily. So when I was playing with it, its paw was in my hand. I experienced that its nails were big, there was no bleeding, only white lines (that I think is normal, because it was the time of winter and my skin was rough). Is it possible for me to get infected by rabies? That dog has lived on my street for a very long time, and its behavior is loving and completely normal. I can not even remember which hand was scratched, as those lines were gone after a few seconds. I searched for symptoms of rabies online, and now I am worried. Please help.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

Based on your exposure history, there is no need for rabies prophylaxis as there are no visible wound marks and no minor or major bleeding.

However, be safe next time.

I suggest you avoid coming in contact with street dogs. You can provide food to them from a distance.

Take care.

|