Q. Based on fetal echo, please explain the health condition of baby and mother.

I need an explanatory view for layman understanding in respect of the conclusion drawn in the report attached herewith. I would also need to know the effect on the health of baby and mother (including Down's syndrome) and also other points mentioned in the report.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

Basically report is normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and there is no evidence of any heart disease in the baby. However, since it is difficult to completely visualize the baby's heart as it is small and deeply seated, some diseases may be missed especially minors. But at present, there is no evidence of any disease and usually, major diseases are not missed on fetal echo. So nothing to worry at present about the report.

Now I do not know why you mentioned Down's syndrome as there is no evidence of it in echo, but routine ultrasound of the baby rather than echo is an investigation of choice for down syndrome. So routine ultrasound of the baby (called as malformation scan) is necessary to rule out down syndrome. Also, in Down syndrome, there are abnormalities in the heart as well, but echo is fine so it is a negative factor for Down syndrome, but still, ultrasound would be more reliable.

Down syndrome has severe consequences on the baby rather than mother, firstly because of various structural abnormalities which may be seen in various body parts (requiring surgeries) and baby will have developmental delays, some mental retardation. If it is detected earlier in the pregnancy then abortion may be done.

| 

I however want to know why the conclusion has shown small echogenic nodule in LV. Please explain it in simple terms for me.

#

Echogenic nodule basically means some nodule is visible on echo or ultrasound. In the majority of cases, normal structures within the heart are seen as nodules.

Fetal echo is done to rule out the possibility of structural heart disease in such cases with the nodule. And in cases with normal fetal echo, the possibility of structural heart disease is extremely low. So nothing to worry about it at present.

|