Q. My doctor said there is a tumor in the fetus. Kindly provide second opinion.

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

Please check my antenatal scan reports for three months pregnancy.

#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• As per the sonography report, the baby is fine with NT (nuchal translucency) of 2.5 mm. Usually, it is around 1 to 1.8 mm and it is said that there is an increased risk of Down's syndrome as the thickness increases.
  • And, your age is 38 years. So, I will suggest you do a double marker test to screen for congenital problems in the baby.
  • If the test shows a low risk then do not worry. If the test result shows a high risk, then we may have to do amniocentesis, that is, send the liquid around the baby for direct testing for confirmation. 
  • It is my opinion that you should go for a double marker test. If NT was 1.1, even then I would have suggested the same due to gestational age.

For further queries consult a general practitioner online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

But my doctor said that there is a tumor in the baby. Please check this report and reply.

#

I just read the report you first attached.

• If that is the case, you first have to confirm with one or two more sonologists as well. If all of them are of the same opinion (that there is a sacral mass in this baby) then you can opt to terminate the pregnancy. Here, it is possible to terminate the pregnancy before 20 weeks. Of course, the final decision is with the couple whether they want to continue the pregnancy or not. You have to discuss that with your doctor and follow the advice.
  • Now, if two or three sonologists are of the same opinion, consult two gynecologists and they both also think that this pregnancy should be terminated, then you can legally terminate this pregnancy before 20 weeks in a government-authorized center under the care of an authorized doctor.
  • Coming to the report, it says that there is some mass in the sacral region of the fetus and it could be sacral teratoma. I suggest you do a sonography with the senior most in your area and take his/her opinion.
  • In case you want to continue the pregnancy, then consult your gynecologist and do prepare for the future care of the baby. You may have to consult an oncosurgeon who can explain the prognosis better.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|