Q. I am 38 weeks pregnant but ultrasound suggests growth of 36 weeks. Will it affect the baby?

I am 38 weeks pregnant (38 weeks and 2 days). I took an ultrasound today.

My report shows:

Biparietal diameter 8.93 cm (36w 1d)

Head circumference 32.17 cm (36w 2d)

Abdominal circumference 31.65 cm (35w 4d)

Femoral length 6.98 cm (35w 6d)

Average age of gestation based on today's scan: 36 weeks

Estimated fetal weight: 2765 grams.

I just want to ask if I need to be worried, as my doctor said the baby is small. Is there any problem for the baby because I am on 38 weeks 2 days now, but base on my ultrasound the baby is 36 weeks.

#

The growth of the child is two weeks smaller for 38 weeks but corresponding to its ultrasound age, the weight of the baby is fine. There is a likelihood that you may have had an irregularity in your menses earlier and your ovulation may have been delayed and leading to late conception. However, best would be to undertake a biophysical profile and an umbilical artery doppler, MCA Doppler studies (middle cerebral artery) to look for cause for decreased supply to the fetus (if at all).

If these parameters are normal, then your dates are probably wrong or you have had delayed ovulation and fertilization because fetus would then be considered growing and pregnancy can be continued and followed up with serial ultrasounds.

But nevertheless, even if dates are not good, still it is advisable that one should go with your dates as at 38 weeks and deliver the child by 41 weeks, considering the child has matured and the average fetal weight is also good.

| 

Preeclampsia - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment

Article Overview: A sudden rise in blood pressure in pregnant women is preeclampsia. Learn about the conditions that cause high BP during pregnancy, symptoms, risk factors, and treatment of preeclampsia. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What Is Preeclampsia? Preeclampsia is a condition seen in pregnant women, where the blood pressure becomes high and organs like kidneys and liver show signs of damage. These signs include protein in the urine and low platelets. It usually begins after 20 weeks of pregnancy, even if the mother&rsquo...  Read Article

Can CMV be the cause of echogenic fetal bowel?

Query: Hello doctor, At my 17 week ultrasound, the baby had an echogenic bowel. I was offered for level two ultrasound on the same day. Other than echogenic bowel, I had a normal scan. After that, I was suggested for the quadruple test, which came back low risk (1:2226). At my 19 week ultrasound, echogeni...  Read Full »

What does both kidney slightly hyperechoic in a fetal ultrasound indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, What does both kidney slightly hyperechoic in an ultrasound indicate? I am 19 weeks pregnant and very worried about my baby.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Childbirth Educator Now