Q. Can recurrent high fever in old people lead to any serious issue?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 06, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2019

My father suffered from high fever over last week and he was alright. But today again he is feeling a mild rise in his temperature. Is this anything serious?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I want to assure you that do not worry as everything is going to be fine soon. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concerns.

Fever is just a symptom of other illnesses like infection, inflammation etc. So, we have to rule out some basic infections possible in him. Also some background of your father's overall health is needed.

Please answer the following questions to assist him in the best possible way:-
1. Does he have or had any of the following symptoms in the last week, the symptoms include sore throat, neck glands enlargement or enlarged lymph nodes?
2. Did he experience any painful urination, frequent urination or urge to urinate even after coming from restroom, all time feeling of bladder fullness as if he needs to urinate?
3. Are there any symptoms of constipation, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pains, cough with/without sputum, nasal discharge, flu, eye redness, etc?
4. Does he have any skin condition/disease?
5. Is he diabetic or hypertensive? Whether he takes any regular medication? If yes, then please mention it.
6. Is there any allergic history for food or medication?
7. Is he a known hepatitis patient?
8. Does he have any gallbladder issues or history of kidney stones?

Treatment will be decided with follow-up details.

| 

My father is a 63 year old man with no notable illness. He did not have sore throat or neck lymph node enlargement. He is not experiencing any painful urination. There is no urge to urinate and no bladder fullness too. He did not have the symptoms of constipation, vomiting, nausea or abdominal pain. There is no nasal discharge or eye redness but mild dry cough is present.

He is not suffering from any skin disease. There is no past medical history to explain such as diabetes, allergy, gall issues, and kidney stones. His blood pressure is 120/80 and he is not on any regular medication. He is little fat with belly and little high cholesterol but remains fit usually. This time he got fever twice in two weeks and so I am worried.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

#

I appreciate for the details provided.

Such kind of fever needs regular monitoring with a thermometer. Sometimes there is only a subjective feeling of fever but on thermometer it comes normal. If it comes up to 101 degrees Fahrenheit it is of some consideration.
We will definitely do some blood work that is necessary to rule out the hidden cause of this fever and to save him from any illness that may lead to problems later on.

1. Complete blood count with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and differentials.
2. HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) and anti-HCV (hepatitis C virus) (ELISA-enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay).
3. The hs-CRP levels (high-sensitivity C-reactive protein).

1. Tablet Tylenol (Acetaminophen) by mouth three times a day.
2. If cough persist, then over-the-counter available cough syrup.
3. Tablet Prednisone 5 mg twice daily for 7 days.
4. Capsule Omeprazole 20 mg before breakfast.

1. Avoid strenuous physical activity and do rest for fast recovery.
2. Follow up after a week for evaluation and upload the laboratory results too.

| 

My daughter has cough. Shall I give her Dexona?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 year old daughter is suffering from a cough and mild fever for the last four days. Doctor prescribed with LCF Syrup and Azithral Syrup, but she is still coughing. Today, when she was sleeping, we heard cracking and wheezing sound and difficulty in breathing. Shall I give her Dexon...  Read Full »

Can normal saline aid in curing cough in a kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 6-year-old child is having asthma and is coughing in the night. He uses a nebulizer. I am giving him normal saline. Please help.  Read Full »

What is the cut-off value for ELISA test?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some queries about HIV, ELISA/ECLIA TEST. What is the cut-off for this test? In some lab reports, they do not mention the cut off rate. They just mention if it is reactive or non-reactive. In some labs, 0.9 is the cut off while in others, it is different. Why is it so?  Read Full »