Q. For the last eight months, I have a slight fever on the second day of my periods. Why?

Dr. Deepti Katarya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

Some months I have a fever of around 39 degrees on the second day of my period. It may happen three months and may not in one month and again in the fourth month. It is on and off for eight months now. I got an ultrasound, and my doctor wants a biopsy now and will do it without anesthesia. Considering my blood tests look normal, can you evaluate my ultrasound results, and do you also recommend it. My doctor said she would not use any anesthesia, and I heard it is painful, and I would like to avoid it if not necessary. I have one daughter, normal birth. I have normal period cycles, and they last for five to six days. Sometimes they last nine days (just spotting for the last four days). I am under Levothyroxine 10 mg for hypothyroidism. I am attaching my reports. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Thirty-nine degrees is a very mild grade fever, and it is normal to have this spike during your periods. You need not worry at all. You can take any medicine for fever or tablet Ibuprofen, and even if you do not take it is not going to harm you. Your ultrasound report seems to be normal (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). If you just suffer a slight rise in temperature with no other complaints, then it is fine. Hormone fluctuations during periods may lead to this rise. I do not think the biopsy is required for this much rise and your endometrial thickness is also normal. However, if you get a high-grade fever, then get yourself evaluated. The chances of which are less likely. Do you get your thyroid levels checked every three to four months to have better control of your levels?

I hope this was helpful.

What is high grade cause a few times, it went up to 39.5 but not higher than that, and it only stays there for a few hours. I believe biopsy tests for cancer cells or bacteria growth. Would not these show other signs too, and also do they cause 39.5 fever? Kindly guide me.

#

A fever of 39 degrees to 39.5 is a low-grade fever and above 39.5 is a high-grade one. As you said, it stays for few hours. It is basically the hormones during the menstrual cycle. Take care of hydration during the periods, have plenty of fluids.

Endometrial biopsy is to detect endometrial cancer, infection, and other pathology, all of which, if present, will not cause only fever but other signs and symptoms too which are absent in your case.

Moreover, fever due to endometrial pathology will occur irrespective of the periods and will be there for days and not for hours. Isolated low-grade fever during the second day of the period and for few hours is more likely due to hormones. However, if you experience other symptoms, then you need to get a proper evaluation done.

I hope this was helpful.

|