Q. I have fever with stomach bloating and difficulty in passing stools. Please help.

Dr. Saurabh Pandey
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 02, 2020

I have a fever for about two days now. There are hours when my temperature drops but it rises back again. The highest temperature I had is 39 degree celsius. The day before, I had a fever and ate too much and it made me bloated and want to pass stools but I cannot. The following day, I woke up with muscle soreness and a 37.7 fever. I initially assumed I had DOMS since I tried out a different workout routine two days prior. I took some medicines and my muscle soreness were alleviated but, I still have a lower back pain and stomach pain. I also noticed that I pass gas more than usual. I still have the urge to pass stools and a bloated stomach. Late night, I felt like my stomach was tied in knots when I move or even pass gas. I was able to defecate but, it was small. On the second day, I was able to pass stools but, the stomach pain is still there. I also had nausea which eventually resulted to vomiting. I am currently taking Paracetamol.

Dr. Saurabh Pandey

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I read your query and the first thing I want to assure you that it is not an ulcer. Fever may be due to some other underlying condition that may further need to evaluate. Normally, myalgia is associated with such kind of fever so both are related.

Now coming to your gastrointestinal issue. The causes of abdominal pain and constipation are varied. Some broad segments of causes include your lifestyle, medications, and medical conditions. With each of these segments there are multiple things that can lead to abdominal pain and constipation.

Lifestyle causes can include not eating enough foods with fiber, such as vegetables, fruit, or cereals. Change your eating habits, such as dieting, stress, not drinking enough water to keep stools soft and promote movement.

Now, if any of the above is applicable, then you need to change the routine and it will go away.

Health conditions that may cause abdominal pain and constipation include inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, diverticulitis, etc. But I need some more history from you to diagnose appropriately. If any of such diseases will be there, you need not be worried. There are some really effective treatments available.

|