Q. In spite of giving medicines, my baby still has fever. What should I do?

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2021

About five days ago, my 1 and half year old baby got a high fever, about 104 F. We rushed to the doctor. On examination, he said that the baby had a severe throat infection. He prescribed antibiotics and Paracetamol. Now it has been five days, and the fever is under control only when I give her the medicine. Once it crosses the eight-hour mark, the fever is back again. I am really worried about my baby's health. She is very cranky and crying all the time. She rejects food and water. Please suggest some treatment.

#

I understand that you are very concerned about your baby.

• Throat infection in children is one of the most common problems encountered. It resolves slowly sometimes, by seven to ten days even. So, it is nothing to worry about.
  • Continue giving Paracetamol every sixth hourly, along with tepid sponging. Also continue the antibiotic as prescribed.
  • If still persistent, consult your doctor again for re-evaluation and further management.
  • If your baby is not able to take adequate food, it is always better to hospitalize her and get her treated as an in-patient.

Hope your baby gets well soon. Take care.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thank you for your quick reply. But, will not the administration of a high dose of Paracetamol and antibiotics, cause any side effects for the baby? The temperature is not coming down, and the baby is crying a lot. What to do?

#

• The maximum dosage of Paracetamol is every fourth hourly. So, sixth hourly is considered quite safe.
  • And regarding the antibiotic Amoxicillin, you did not mention the dose your baby is receiving. It can be given up to even ten days if required.
  • Sometimes in young children, the throat infection can spread into the ears quite easily. That could be the reason for excessive crying.
  • As already mentioned, if the baby is not taking sufficient food, and becoming weak and dull, it is better to get her hospitalized.

Take care.

|