Q. My 2-year-old daughter has fever with extreme lethargy and rolling her eyes. Kindly help.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My 2 year old daughter is experiencing strange symptoms and before I take her to an emergency room, I would prefer to get a second opinion. She is acting extremely lethargic, she keeps squinting, or her eyes keep rolling up in her head, and she’s really emotional and sensitive. She’s running a slight fever, but is not stuffy or raspy. She’s 3’ tall, and weighs 30 lbs currently. She normally has a LOT of energy, but today all she wants is to lay around and her expression and the way her eyes are rolling, scares me.

#

As per your description, the child is probably lethargic because of the fever. I would suggest to check the temperature of the child with a thermometer to know exactly how much fever we are dealing with. If the temperature is between 100 F to 102 F, give syrup Crocin ds (250 mg/5 ml) 3.5 ml sos and if temperature is 102 F or more, give syrup Ibugesic plus 3.5 ml sos. If the fever os 103 F or more, it is advisable to get blood investigations done to find the exact cause of the fever. Irrespective, it is advisable to get the child evaluated physically by a pediatrician to know exactly what is going on.

|