Q. My child is running temperatures and sleeps all the time. Why?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My baby has had a fever, cough, and cold for more than a week now. I had him checked a few days back. I took an x-ray, but the results were negative. His complete blood count is also negative. He only breastfeeds and does not eat well. He is taking Clarithromycin, Asmacaire, Alnix, and Tempra for five days. He kept sleeping the whole day and whole night for four days already. He will only wake up for two minutes maximum and then go back to sleep again.

Can you please help me, doctor?

#

I understand your concern.

Please document fever with a thermometer. If the thermometer shows a temperature above 100 degrees fahrenheit, it is considered a fever and needs treatment. No treatment is required if the temperature is below 100 degrees fahrenheit.

Considering your agony, I recommend you do a blood culture test for your child. It will help to find if we are dealing with some different organisms. Apart from that, the medications you are giving seem fine. Such illness and medicine cause sleepiness in children, so it is fine and nothing to worry about.

|