Q. My wife has a fever from three days. Does she require a blood test?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife aged 23 years, with body weight 55 kg, is suffering from fever from three days. Her temperature ranges from 98° F to 102.5° F. The other associated symptoms are sneezing, coughing, headache, mild pain in legs, and debility. Urination and defecation are normal. The medicines that she is taking are Azithromycin 250 mg BD, Paracetamol 500 mg SOS, Omez D OD in empty stomach, Digene gel BD PC, Zedex cough syrup BD. What should she take now? Is there any necessity for a blood test now? She has taken four tablets of Azithromycin 250 mg. Should the antibiotic be changed? 

#

• From the history provided by you, it seems that your wife is suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection which is of a viral origin. Viral infections take four to six days to get alright with proper medication.
  • There is no need to change the antibiotic right now. I suggest she continue with the medication as directed by her physician.
  • Take adequate fluids. The fever should be cooled down by Paracetamol whenever it comes. Take a light diet which is easily digested by the body. If the symptoms do not improve within a week, carry out a chest X-ray, complete blood count, swine flu, and dengue tests.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|